Hynna

Here in the US South, we say “over yonder”. Interesting.

1 Like

Yes that is interesting. Although in modern(-ish) times in the UK it seems to be confined to the north, I wonder if at one time it was more general. I just thought about that song “O no John, no John, no John no!”, which starts:

“On yonder hill there stands a creature…”

It’s supposed to be a Somerset folk song. Of course, “yonder” could have been borrowed from northern dialect just because it fitted the metre.

I learned a version of that song at primary school. I only recently read that there were several versions, one at least, a bit risqué! :slight_smile:

Possibly this was the version I had in mind:
http://www.contemplator.com/england/nojohn.html

Saying that, The West Country (SW England) seems to have held on to a fair bit of earlier English in its dialect, so why not Yonder? I can’t say that I have ever used Yon or Yonder, but I definitely understand it.

I was also surprised how the Black Country (part of the W Midlands) uses Fower for four. The first time I heard it I thought that the speaker was from Northumberland. It also sounds pretty close to Pedwar.

2 Likes

The Old English is feower - the Gothic equivalent was fidwor.

2 Likes

We also say “up yonder”. As in “The store is up yonder past the parking lot.” Also “The ball is over yonder by the tree.”

2 Likes