HR Learner

I find that I have to work through each lesson (I’m on Lesson Two now) three times at least in order to get things right. The sentences in Lesson Two are very long and I can get through them if I hit the pause button, but it’s tough. The problem is partly because some of the new vocabulary is too much for me to memorize all at once, and partly because, as I said, the sentences are long. It looks like I am going to do each lesson about three times and move on and then go back if I need to after Lesson Five. Does anyone else have any suggestions for me? BTW, I love to learn and speak Welsh, so that’s a big plus.

1 Like

I’m still in the early stages myself, week 7, but I’ve found that around week 6 / 7 something clicked in my brain, and I found that I could learn words / sentences / understand them much Easier. I think this method of learning isn’t like how schools teach languages, honestly give it time and you’ll probably find that you soon pick up pace. I use the pause button (surely that’s the point in having it!) And the rewind buttons to hear something again, and again!

I’m on lesson 9 and use the pause button a lot too, but it’s what works for me, I’ll do a lesson for about a week but I tend to break the lesson down into chunks of say 20 minutes in the morning and 20 minutes in afternoon

In the beginning, I think it’s good to do a little testing to find what works best for you.
The official assignment was to not use pause button and not repeat lessons as long as you are able say something before Cat/Cath says the correct sentence in Welsh.

Well, for me not using the pause button didn’t work at all - I got all anxious and frustrated.

But then I found a good balance with that, and found that the best way for me was to just go on with the lesson until the end (sometimes breaking it in two or three parts instead of all at once).

Then going on with the next lesson. Even though I had just said 2 or 3 words out of a whole sentence, felt as if I couldn’t remember anything.

But fact is that words and structures come back again and again in the next lessons. And at some point you just learn them!
Actually some earlier, some take months to stick but they all do eventually.

At least this was my experience and it was good for me also because I kept on enjoying it a lot.

I know that a lot of people prefer to repeat lessons at least once or twice (and I did it myself on Level 3).
However one sure thing I’ve heard many times its important not to get caught in perfectionism. Meaning trying to get 100% right and remembering everything before moving to next lesson, because that’s not really the way this method is supposed to work best!

Pob lwc!

3 Likes

My thanks to all of you for your very helpful responses! I feel much more confident about things now.

In majority I believe we all went through this especially at the beginning but I was always reasured by many members here that doing lesson 2, 3 or even more times isn’t neccessary as you’ll get a lot of revision of all kinds of things as you progress. Pause button is for many people a necesity so don’t hesitate to use it. You’ll produce much more and better and with time you’ll manage to say these long sentences in the whole. If it helps you can split sentences into two parts and say part by part then at one point you’ll just find yourself saying the whole sentence before the tutor has even thought to say the correct answer. :slight_smile:

But, just don’t stop because all this might hold you back. Go further! In time you’ll ask yourself: “What was that hard in those lessons anyway?” (speaking from my own experience).

And besides: it’s not the competition so go with your pace. Some of us got to the points where we are now a bit slowly and some managed to speed through the course like they’d be on formula 1 track but eventually we surely and steadily all reach our goals - to speak Welsh!

Dal ati!
Tatjana :slight_smile: