How to Reach out to Relatives in Wales

I am wondering what is the best way to contact my relatives in Wales? They don’t know who I am. My mother was born in Pwllheli. My Nain had 9 brothers and they were all born in Caernarfon. Nain & Taid moved to Liverpool with my mother and uncle when they were children. I grew up in Liverpool. My Nain outlived her husband and two children (my mother died when I was young). My brother and I moved to USA during the 80’s. Ive recently tried to contact relatives in Pwllheli but Ive had no response. Im wondering if they think Im some sort of identity fraud?? Any ideas as to the best way to present myself. I just want to make a family connection.
Also Im planning to come to Nant in Pwllheli in February 2017 with my brother. Anyone had experience with the language program there?

If you have old family photos and are on Facebook, perhaps one, gentle, way of making contact might be to join the ‘Pwllheli Old Photos’ and post a pic or two giving the outline of the family history - similar to what you have posted here, but instead of asking for relatives, just ask a general question as to if anyone remembers the family. It may open up some further opportunities for contact afterwards (I have found numerous relatives and connections I didn’t even know I had by posting old pics this way!).

I haven’t done the language course at Nant Gwrtheyrn myself so I’ll leave that question for someone who has, but I have visited Nant several times for other reasons, and it’s a gorgeous place.

2 Likes

I went to Nant Gwrtheyrn in March to do a 5-day course. It was great! The setting’s amazing, the food was lovely and the teaching was of a very good standard. Highly recommended.

2 Likes

I think your idea might work well. I share a house with a friend who has lived here in Scotland for most of her life. She started posting pics on a site about local ships, becaude.a) she’s interested and b) her stepfather was a Captain. She gets loads of people contacting her from all over the world and is fascinated by some of the stories. I don’t know if she’s reunited any families, but I know she’s sent useful info to people enquiring!

1 Like

Thanks,
Good idea as I am on Facebook. I don’t have pics but i do have a little painting which I brought back to the US from Nains house. It was painted by a family member and its a representation of somewhere close to where she grew up. I will post a pic of the painting that and see what happens. Nain had that painting as long as I can remember.
diolch yn fawr!

1 Like

If you want to share names and stuff, PM Catrin - it wouldn’t surprise me in the least if she or her mother turned out to know the family. Nothing’s surprised me on that front since it turned out that an extremely distant relation of mine had been in the same class as Catrin’s mother…:wink:

1 Like

Diolch yn fawn:) How do I reach Catrin?

1 Like

To send a Private Message (PM) to Catrin, click on your picture in the upper right-hand corner and select the little envelope icon (just to the left of the gear icon). Then on the page that comes up, you’ll see “New Message” on the left. Click that, and in the popup that comes up, where it says “Add a user” start typing catrin, and you’ll soon see Catrin Jones as an option. Take it from there… :slight_smile:

1 Like

BTW…dang you’ll be a natural with the language as you are already shortening “diolch yn fawr iawn” down to “… yn fawn” Brilliant!

1 Like

If you let me know when you’ve sent her a PM, I’ll nudge her to have a look…:wink: