How SSiW changed my life—no kidding!

Helo Ffrindiau,

Five years ago I lacked or lost confidence in myself because of being deaf/hard of hearing. But living in Vancouver (a loooong way from Wales), I had a dream… to learn enough Welsh to take an MA in Celtic Studies (with Welsh Language) via UWTSD.

With a lot of help and encouragement on this Forum from SSiW leaders and members, plus persistence, I completed each of the Lessons and Levels as they became available, and exactly a year ago I completed all the coursework for the MA, but I still had the research and dissertation to write. Then along came COVID…

Living the healthy life of a happy hermit (while we all await vaccines) at least meant very few distractions, so today seems a good day to report ‘Job done!’

Although I have to wait for the final result, this is definitely a dream come true. As a reward, since we cannot travel between Wales and Canada right now, I shall relax, settle back into reviewing SSiW lessons, (wrapped in a Welsh blanket I sent for as a treat), and look forward to discovering what’s been going on here while I have been ‘otherwise busy’.

Diolch yn farw iawn!
Mari

‘Tua’r goleuni’

23 Likes

Well done Mari! Llongyfarchiadau mawrion! Please let us know how well you went in your dissertation - I am waiting for the results for my MA thesis about SSiW, and I know the suspense…

1 Like

Well done too Louis! Any idea when you will hear?

I submitted the dissertation on 11th November and was told I may hear the result in February, but possibly not until June :confused:

Please let me know how you get on.

Best wishes,
Mari

1 Like

Wow Mari, Llongyfarchiadau! When Aran put the sentence “Dylet ti deimlo’n falch iawn ohonoti dy hyn” - “You should feel very proud of yourself” into the challenges, he must have had you in mind! We’re proud of you too. Well done! What a fantastic achievement! Keep up the good work.

2 Likes

Bless you, diolch yn fawr iawn—you are very kind!

I think everyone involved with SSiW should take a bow, because it is really a team effort. We help and coach each other, cheer each other on, and are thrilled for one another when anyone achieves a goal or dream—as you just proved. That’s huge.

It doesn’t matter right now whether it’s getting to the end of the first lesson, finally remembering the use of a word or phrase that was evasive or sounded impossible at first, plucking up courage to SSiW to a friend or stranger… Speaking personally, each of these felt like a huge challenge, then morphed into a sense of accomplishment that builds confidence, not just in SSiW but in life generally. And there is no better gift we can offer anyone than the kind of an environment that allows everyone to dream, then to divide their dream into achievable steps, to fall on occasion but not be defeated but rather be stronger for learning how to roll with it and enjoy having another go.

So thank you! I hope you are starting this year with a dream and a goal which is a step towards it. SSiW is not simply a successful format for learning, but a way of life, a family of learners and teachers, of friends and guides, and of generous, kind-hearted folk such as yourself. May you dream dreams, and your dream come true too! Bless you!

Hwyl,
Mari

7 Likes

Llongyfarchiadau @MarilynHames. We’ve been following similar paths and it all started with SSiW.

2 Likes

I am so thrilled to read this!

Llongyfarchiadau mawr iawn Marilyn, I am in awe of your efforts and success and am so proud to be able to call you a member of the SSiW community - uit is stories like this which help to keep us going.

Beautiful painting as well by the way - you have some talent!

3 Likes

Sounds brilliant—good for you. Tell us more please… what is your dream? How is it going?

Hwyl,
Mari

Annwyl Mari,
I’ve sent you the details in a message.
Cofion gorau
Doug

1 Like

Gwych—I will enjoy this this my first cuppa’ (it is 7:00 am here).

Diolch yn fawr iawn Catrin, but remember—whether you realized it or not you have been a huge help over the years.

In my thesis, I talk about the role of SSiW from the perspective of keeping Welsh language, culture and connections alive amongst the diaspora. So I speak on behalf of all those people for whom SSiW has made a world of difference—literally.

Virtual bouquets and awards to all of you who made this possible and everyone in the SSiW ‘fam’. :bouquet:

Hwyl,
Mari

5 Likes

Fantastic, well done, da iawn

1 Like

Diolch yn fawr Bryn.

I hope that whatever dreams you are working on come true too.

Hwyl,
Mari

Congratulations. That is some achievement and inspiring for those of us not so far in our journey.

Every day we learn a little more, a previously difficult word or phrase comes more easily. Learning this language is like a long walk - after a while you look back and have come so far that you can’t even see where you started.

I’m new here but have been reading for a while. The amount of encouragement and positivity shown, regardless of what level someone is at, is so lovely to see. Let’s never lose that.

Success stories like this show us all the way.

3 Likes

Thank you Peter!

You are absolutely right about the encouragement and positivity here. I hope you really enjoy the journey with confidence—knowing you can count on the support from this community helping and cheering you on.

If you have a question, just ask—this Forum is where you will find answers. It’s like a living library!

Hwyl,
Mari

1 Like

Waw! Llongyfarchiadau!!! That’s an amazing story!

1 Like