How do I write and pronounce,,,

I thought that as I was having a few how do I say moments that I would start a thread for that reason :slight_smile: Thanks in advance for your help.

I just wanted to check the word Something in welsh begins with an ‘r’? for some reason I keep saying more of a ‘d’ sound

How do I write/pronounce anything else?

S’mae Theresa,

Yes, “something” begins with an “r” sound, but it is actually the Welsh letter rh, which is pronounced a bit like “hr”. I say this letter by starting to say an h, and then blending into a rolled r.

rhywbeth - something
rhywbeth arall - something else

Hwyl,

Stu

Helo eto Theresa!

You are almost correct(!)
‘Something’ in Welsh is “Rhywbeth” (pronounced “hrew-BETH”).
The letters ‘Rh’ count as 1 letter (known as a Digraph) in the Welsh alphabet, and is often pronounced as though the letters are the other way round! So you sound the “h” before the “r” (which is often rolled).
“Anything else” in Welsh is “unrhywbeth arall” (pronounced “een-hrew-BETH arr-AIHS”) - now, that last bit of pronounciation (the “IHS” bit) also needs explaining!
This is down to another digraph found in the Welsh alphabet - “LL”. This letter has a sound that is unique to the Welsh language, where you prepare yourself to make the sound for the letter “L”, but instead of voicing the “L” sound, you breath out around your tongue, so it makes a breathy hissing sound instead! It takes a bit of practice, and there are many words you will learn with SSiW that use this unique sound so you will get to practice it quite a lot! The “IHS” is probably the closest I can describe in English pronounciation to the actual sound!
Hope this helps…

Thank you for the replies.

Next one - Its interesting
I think its interesting

I’m a little confused I thought a for and came before a consonant and ac came before a vowel sometimes it sounds like ac m,?

Are you asking why it is “ac mae” rather than “a mae”?

Well, If that is the case, I could say the best answer is “because it is” :wink:

A really “deep” explanation is that “ac y mae” is the full, old, literary, gramatical form of the thing, with “y” causing “ac”.

But the best way to think of it, as almost every fluent Welsh speaker would think of it, is that “ac” just does come before “mae”. :wink:

Hope that helps!

[edited- this is one of the few cases where “ac” is used instead of “a” before a consonant, so well done for noticing this!]

S’mae Theresa?

It’s interesting - Mae’n ddiddorol (Mine thith-O-rol) where the “th” is hard like in the English word “the”
I think (that) it’s interesting - Dw i’n meddwl fod o’n ddiddorol (Doo een MEH-thul vod own thith-O-rol)

Which course are you doing at the moment Theresa? That last one is introducing a form using bod that is taught towards the end of Course 2. If that is not where you are, don’t worry about it. If you said Dw i’n meddwl mae’n ddiddorol that would be understood as well.

Hwyl,

Stu

the a and ac thing makes sense when there is a y ‘missing’ lol

I’m on challenge 6 Southern Stu. I had previously got to about lesson 7 of course one but seem to be finding the challenge format working better

Sorry Gavin I didn’t realise you were saying hello again I couldn’t understand why you were using yet but I’ve just learnt that eto is also again as well as yet lol

What’s the word for year? As in I have been learning for about a year. It seems to get thrown into the mix and I can’t seem to quite catch what the word is.

Thanks

S’mae Theresa?

blwyddyn - a year (blew-I-thyn)

Dw i 'di bod yn dysgu am tua blwyddyn - I have been learning for about a year

Hwyl,

Stu

The Welsh for ‘year’ is "blwyddyn"
“BLOO-OI-vvin” (‘dd’ is another digraph, which has the “th” sound you find in words like “this” and “they”. So the “vv” I’ve put in the pronounciation is meant to represent the slight buzzing sound produced when you say it).
So “I have been learning for about a year” is “Dw i wedi bod yn dysgu am biti Blwyddyn” (or in the north - “dw i wedi bod yn dysgu am tua blwyddyn”).

You’ll hear, blwydd which means: one year old…
With numbers:
blwydd oed - a year old
dwy flwydd oed - two years old
tair blwydd oed - three years old

Can someone help me with the sentence pattern for using ‘to ask’ its the placement of to you that seems to move and confuse me.

Also what is the word for he? I’ve just started challenge 11.

Thanks

This is the northern:
Wrthot ti/to you. He: O/FO/FE
Mae dyn isio gofyn rhywbeth wrthot ti…The man is wanting to ask you something
Mae dyn yn trio gofyn rhywbeth wrthot ti…The man is trying to ask you something.
Southern:
I ti/to you
Mae dyn yn moyn gofyn rhywbeth i ti…
Mae dyn yn trio gofyn rhywbeth i ti