His (whatever)

In course 2 (S) practices, it sounds like Iestyn is saying “ei rhaidd e” for “his” where there is no noun, e.g. “he has gone to buy his.” What is this word? Am I spelling it correctly?

Hi Adam!

Would there be any possibility of you saying which number lesson you heard it on, and the approximate time?

I’m guessing its “ei rai(dd) e”, just going to listen to lesson 22 now…

Yup, course 2, lesson 22.

Iestyn explains it about the four minute mark. It’s “rhai”.
“Ei rai fe” - “his things” if you really want a very bad literal translation. But that really does not translate it meaningfully.
“Ei”, his, causes soft mutation, changing " rhai" to “rai”, but most people will pronounce “rhai” the same way as “rai” anyway.
Really, best thing is to listen to the first five minutes of the lesson again, Iestyn explains it far better than I could, especially around the four minute mark.

You also hear “ei rai e” in the lesson, alongside “ei rai fe”.

[and for all I know, you might be hearing “ei rai(f) e”, with an intrusive “f” sound!]

Not sure that helps…

:star:

Owain - you’re a star!

For completeness - there is a “rule” about fe / e which says that “fe” follows a vowel, and “e” follows a consonant. Unfortunately, we’re a bit unsure in Welsh about whether i is a vowel or a consonant. This is especially true for the i on the start of a word, where sometimes it’s an “ee” as in “iro” to grease, and sometimes more of an English Y or German J, as in Iestyn (my name) or Ioan (my son).

So, according to the vowel rule, it should be “ei rai fe”, and you will hear this all around Wales. However, you will also hear “ei rai e”.

I suspect that I have taught “ei rai e”, but sometimes used “ei rai fe”, which also sounds like “ei raidd e”. Does that make sense?

Diolch yn fawr! I was trying to find which lesson it was in, but I had heard it in the practices. I’ll re-check lesson 22 again.