Hinterland / Y Gwyll: More countries get broadcast rights

Fantastic news for SSIWers in a bunch of different countries, especially those in Belgium & Brittany, from an S4C press release on 21 May (link below):

"ARD Degeto, the licensing and production subsidiary of leading German public broadcaster ARD, has acquired rights to broadcast the series in Germany.

"The series, shot on location in Ceredigion, west Wales, has also been sold to Australia (BBC Global), Iceland (RUV), Holland (KRO), Belgium, France (DIZALE), Finland, Norway (NRK) and New Zealand. And as reported in the UK national press, the series will be playing on VOD platform NETFLIX in the USA – as well as on its feeds in Canada and Scandinavia.

"Viewers in both Brittany and Belgium will be able to enjoy the original Welsh language version of Y Gwyll (the Welsh name for the series) on local French broadcaster DIZALE and VRT Belgium respectively.

“The Belgian screening will be part of the channel’s summer Crime Festival which will see Y Gwyll premier at the start of a season of eight different crime series from around the world. The series will go out in English on the channel later in the year.”

S4C Press Release with more details

1 Like

Great news, that’ll hopefully see loads of foreign tourists heading to Wales…

I know ‘Hinterland’ is coming out on DVD next week, S4C told me a while ago that ‘Y Gwyll’ would be coming out separately, but I have seen no sign of it so far. Disappointing.

I know S4C programmes are made by other companies, so it’s probably outside their control, but the number of them which are ever released on DVD is very low. They, and we, are missing out!

:slight_smile: And all the time I was thinking, while watching it on BBC4: “This would be something VRT might broadcast, and if they do it, it’ll probably be the Welsh version.” And there you go…Very happy about it :slight_smile:

DavidHT: I know S4C programmes are made by other companies, so it’s probably outside their control, but the number of them which are ever released on DVD is very low. They, and we, are missing out!

If you’ve ever seen the bargain buckets full of unsold DVDs at national eisteddfodau you’ll understand why some companies are reluctant to invest in designing and pressing up a couple of thousand copies of a TV series. It’s a shame, a real shame, but the audience is not really guaranteed to be there.

Having said that, on-demand streaming, which could lessen the up-front capital investment considerably, would be a way forward.

Fascinating food for thought…reactions?

Hinterland is coming out on 26 May 2014 in the UK on Region 2 DVD. On [Amazon UK] (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hinterland-DVD-Richard-Harrington/dp/B00JC359HU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400582182&sr=8-1&keywords=hinterland), the listing says it’s 2 discs (383 minutes) for 14 gpb, which is $24.53 in USD.

However . . . Hinterland is also coming out on 1 July 2014 in the US on Region 1 DVD. On Amazon US, the listing says it’s 4 disks (398 minutes), for $38.49 (list price $59.99). It’s being put out by Acorn Media, which does lots of UK series here.

So . . . given the difference in the number of disks listed, and the price difference, is it at all possible that the US set will include both Hinterland (English) and Y Gwyll (Welsh)?

Diane wrote: So . . . given the difference in the number of disks listed, and the price difference, is it at all possible that the US set will include both Hinterland (English) and Y Gwyll (Welsh)?

If that’s the case, I will get the US version! I hope it does include both versions. I really want, Y Gwyll; I’m not that bothered about Hinterland.

Diolch Diane! :slight_smile:

The US version is probably just more expensive because of the import costs and possibly a perceived lower demand.

Looking at the descriptions the UK version specifically says it’s in Welsh & English, whereas the US one only mentions English. Even though there’s a difference in the number of discs they’re both essentially the same length.

Annie, you’re likely right, but I’m going to hold out a tiny bit of hope as long as possible!

Just visited the Acorn Media website. They list the contents, and each episode is on its own disc. Not sure why, except they do list “Extras” including “behind-the-scenes clips” “Photo gallery” and “Welsh show reel” (promo reel, I’m sure, not the actual Welsh version of the show!). So I’m going to have to guess they’ve just put enough “extras” for each episode to make it so that two episodes won’t fit on a single disc… thus total of 4 discs instead of 2 as on the UK release. No mention at all on their pages about Welsh language versions.

I noticed the DVB description when Hinterland was aired mentioned “Welsh and English”, presumably because it included sections of Welsh dialogue among the English. So I’d advocate waiting and seeing before assuming we also get Y Gwyll on the English disc.

To anyone wondering about this, I just got the “Hinterland/Y Gwyll” DVD (the UK release). It is as you suggest - English, with smatterings of dialog in Welsh with subtitles. There’s not a lot of the Welsh dialog, unfortunately. Mostly, someone says the occasional one line in Welsh at the beginning of a scene, then switches to English.

Agreed it’s a waiting game. But I don’t think the Acorn release is the one to wait for. The most positive sign I’ve seen for Y Gwyll is a mention (I think on a Facebook page) that Arrow (who did the Hinterhand DVD) will release Y Gwyll “soon”.

I received an email from Sion today saying there’s hope for fersiwn Gymraeg:

"Annwyl Luis,

Diolch i chi am gysylltu.

Y manylion yr ydym ni wedi ei dderbyn gan y cwmni cynhyrchu yw eu bod nhw am ryddhau fersiwn Gymraeg o Y Gwyll ar DVD ond ar hyn o bryd nid ydynt wedi cadarnhau pryd y bydd hyn yn digwydd.

Yn gywir

Sion Thomas
Swyddog Y Wifren"

Its fame is spreading, there is a letter praising the programme in this week’s edition of ‘Cycling Weekly’…there has been a weekend cyclefest there.

Louis: I received an email from Sion today saying there’s hope for fersiwn Gymraeg:

Ahhh newyddion ardderchog Louis, da iawn ti! Wi’n disgwl mlaen at y cyfle pan galla i brynu fe. Wna i wir yn hoffi i wylio e eto ac wi’n grac gyda fy hunan am peidio cadw e ar fy blwch Sky+. Diolch boi!

Apologies if this is old news, but I think I read the other day that Y Gwyll is returning on 01.01.15.

I am keen to get the Welsh version. I hope they make one. Direct online purchasing would be helpful. Then we could just cough up and enjoy. At the moment, I feel synpathy towards video pirates. :smile:

S’mae Elizabeth?

I just ordered Y Gwyll (in Welsh, optional English subtitles) on DVD from Amazon…

Hwyl,

Stu

Thanks @essenbee. I’ll do the same. :smile:

I ordered (and received) mine a while ago through Arrow Films, who are UK based.