Hi! Ailéin O'Clumhain here, beginner looking for pointers

Hi
Complete beginner looking for some pointers. Can I work through the free lessons? Or can I join the 6 min a day challenge? I think it’s the silver option, £10 a month.
Much appreciated.
Diolch
Ailéin
https://forum.saysomethingin.com/t/greetings/30701/2?u=ailein-o-clumhain

1 Like

The lessons aren’t free anymore I’m afraid - only the very first one I think. The 6-minute-a-day course includes extra tutor support, so you get much more with the subscription :slight_smile:

These ones mean. Are free?

Hmm - I’m not sure about the situation with the old course - I’ll tag @stine and she will be able to clarify.

Brilliant, new here. Just finding my way around. Diolch.

2 Likes

Hi @Alan-Clifford ( & thanks, @siaronjames)

The only free material available now on our site is the one sentence trial. For all other courses you need to have a paid subscription, namely the £10/month option. The free sentence gives you the chance to see whether you like our learning method before you sign up, though you’re not locked into any sort of contract where you have to stay for a minimum number of months

There are also free bite-sized lessons available on Aran’s YouTube channel. ‘Lockdown Welsh’ is a series offering the types of things lockdown might require you to say, such as ‘I don’t know what day it is’ and ‘Bedtime Welsh’ is a series aimed at parents learning with their children. Here are links to the first session in each series:

Lockdown Welsh L1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oflpFQVLew
Bedtime Welsh intro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC3fGVlYFGk

Hope that helps clarify, and look forward to you joining the community!

2 Likes

Much appreciated, diolch. I’m definitely looking to stick with Learning Welsh. Maybe its different exercises, lessons that I have come across. I’ll definitely take a serious look at my learning process.
Diolch
Ailéin

1 Like

These are the lessons that I am referring to. There seems to be 26 of them. And appear to be free. Older versions maybe?
Diolch
Ailéin

yes, those will definitely be the older versions. We changed this last year. What you may find is that when you try to access them is that you will be taken to our account sign-up page, so although they might look free, they aren’t in reality. Sorry!

1 Like

No problem. I’m not actually looking to learn for free, just finding my way around. I only started last week after thinking about learning for some time. I learned Gaeilge as an adult, now I teach it to adults, and as an Irish language assistant in schools. Time for a new challenge. So I’d like to learn Welsh. Would the 6 min a day course be suitable for me. I think it’s Silver £10 monthly. Or should I have more knowledge before enrollment.
Diolch
Ailéin

No problem - hey, I’d take whatever free stuff I could get :laughing:

The Silver sub/6 mins a day course is designed for total beginners and with your background in learning Gaeilge, I don’t think you’d have any trouble at all taking on a new language challenge! You don’t need to have any prior knowledge of Welsh to get going with us. Look forward to you joining us, and keep us posted on how you get on. Take care!

1 Like

Yip, free stuff is pretty cool. Anyway thanks so much for your time, help and patience. I have all the information that I need for now.
Go raibh maith agat/ diolch.
Ailéin

1 Like

When did that change? Useful to know for those of us who recommend SSiW after learning Welsh through it.

It changed in 2018.

1 Like

I have just completed the 6min/day course and it has been amazing. I had very little Welsh at the start but now find myself being able to have conversations with others (which I wouldnt have dreamed of being able to do before!)

3 Likes

Da iawn Mark
Sounds fantastic. How long did it take you to complete. I understand everyone works, learns at a different pace.
Diolch

Hey Ailéin! Sut wyt ti?
I guess you’re an Irish speaker… I’m a fluent Welsh speaker and am eager to learn Irish. (duolingo can only get you so far, and alas, there’s not a ‘saysomethinginirish’, yet…
Any interest in being tandem partners?

Andrew

1 Like

Dia duit Anderswo
That’s a great idea. Iv thought about it myself but wasn’t sure how to approach it. Yeah in an Irish speaker. I learned Irish as an adult going on to do my diploma and degree. I now teach adults and work part time in schools as a language assistant. So I’m also passionate about teaching helping and passing on the language to anyone who is interested. And I’d really appreciate any help with my learning Welsh. Could be interesting to see how it works. So yes I’m definitely interested.
Go raibh maith agat
Ailéin

1 Like

Smae Anderswo
Did you have any luck practicing Irish?