Help with wedding toast

Hello everybody,
As a best man at wedding of my friends I would like to say something nice in Welsh. I found bellow one (suppose to be traditional welsh wedding blessing) which is nice a short as well, but it’s only in English:( Can anybody help please with its translation into Welsh and as well with pronunciation (I’ve been learning some basics)? My friends are both Czech (me as well) and I don’t think there will be anybody Welsh speaking really, but they were travelling around Wales few years ago and they fell in love with country and especially language. I was hoping to surprise them a little bit…

‘’Wishing you
A house full of sunshine,
Hearts full of cheer,
Love that grows deeper
each day of the year.’’

Or If you know about anything else I can use, or where I can find it…
Thank you!
Martin

2 Likes

That’s such a lovely thought! I hope someone can help you out. Sounds like a task for Super @CatrinLliarJones to me :sunny:

Catrin suggests the first verse of Calon Lân:

‘Nid wy’n gofyn bywyd moethus, aur y byd na’i berlau mân,
Gofyn wyf am galon hapus, calon onest, calon lân.’

[I don’t ask for a life of luxury, the world’s gold or pearls,* *I ask for a happy heart, an honest heart, a pure heart.]

Or a line from a traditional folk song:

‘Ond cariad pur sydd fel y dur,
Yn parhau tra bo dau.’

[Only pure love like steel endures while there are two.]

Either of those appeal? Failing that, maybe there are some songs out there that would do the trick - @rob_bruce might be able to suggest something :sunny:

1 Like

To be honest, Aran, I’d have gone with your second suggestion. There’s a version by Plu, who often end their live performances with it, on their first album that sends a shiver down my spine. (Of course, it was also used ironically recently when the Port Talbot works came under threat).

1 Like

Here’s the full version of the above verse…

“Cyfoeth nid yw ond oferedd,
Glendid nid yw yn parhau,
Ond cariad pur, sydd fel y dur,
Sy’n para tra bo dau”

If you want to give a toast I’d say something like this…

“Dymunwn oll briodas ddedwydd, hir oes, a llawn cariad a llawenydd i’r ddau ohonoch.”

X

1 Like

Dwi’n mynd i briodi ym mis tachwedd / I’m going to marry in November. I would like to say my wedding vows in English and Welsh. I am also trying to find Welsh poetry about love, marriage, etc. etc. that really speak to the soul and to incorporate into the wedding. I would love any suggestions or thoughts!!!

P.S. While my brain currently shut down in if I was to try and write all of that in Welsh, I am in the Level 1 Lesson 20 and loving the experience. I can’t imagine learning Welsh any other way - its been life changing. Thanks so much for the opportunity.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your kind words - which are genuinely inspirational! :sunny:

I’m going to tag @CatrinLliarJones on this - she’s a fount of knowledge for all sorts of Welsh marriage stuff - but she’s juggling a houseful of extra kids and adults at the moment, so it might be a few days before she gets a chance to pop in…

1 Like

I’ve just found this thread and it is fantastic! I started SSIW in November when my brother asked me to be his best man. He gets married in North Wales next week and I wanted to say a bit of the speech in Welsh as the bride and her family are welsh speakers. SSIW has been absolutely fantastic and completely transformed the way I think about language learning, I have nearly finished course 3 while I wait for level 3 and am practising as much as I can! I’ll definitely use some of the advice here for the toasts at the wedding. If it wasn’t for SSIW I definitely wouldn’t even be trying it!

1 Like

You’ve done all our available material in about 10 months?! That really is flying - and (although you won’t necessarily feel like that yet) you have effectively turned yourself into a Welsh speaker - you’ll notice when you get/make the chance to spend a few days using only Welsh… :slight_smile:

Tom did a fantastic job of the best man’s speech. Mind, I may be a bit biased as I am his Tad!

1 Like

Awesome - thanks for letting us know! [Everybody deserves a bit of that kind of bias…;-)]

Llongyfarchiadau, Tom! :star: :star2: