Help, I can no longer login to the forum on my phone

I have an old Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I8160. The android version is 2.3.6

Up until the weekend I had a bookmark in the browser (that I downloaded) and I could log on every time. Now when I try to log on the phone locks up.

I have tried downloading other browsers and they do work better but when I get to the forum I get a message saying that my browser is too old to use with the forum.

The browser that originally came with the phone is updated, and when I try to update the phone software it says it is up to date.

Please tell me that I can fix this? I canā€™t afford a new phone before Christmas :frowning:

Any help very gratefully received.

:smile:

Does it say that the browser is too old on all browsers you have used?
Which Browsers have you tried?
Have you tried clearing the cookies on the browser? ( if your not sure, let me know which browser you are using and I can direct you how to do this)

1 Like

Hi Dan, I am using the xxx (I have edited out the name, not sure I am supposed to mention & we seemed to have solved the problem) browser, I tried a couple of others too.

OK, when youā€™re in firefox, If you access the menu. ( i think its the bottom left button on the front) and go into settings and to privacy. You should have an option called ā€˜ā€˜Clear private dataā€™ā€™ press that and make sure everything is ticked and press clear data. This WILL NOT delete your bookmarks so dont worry. Try the forum after that.

1 Like

PS, I have tried clearing cookies, and I have re-installed the browser twice. :-s

Right ok. Beat me to that one. try removing the bookmark and readding it? (not sure if reinstalling the browser will clear the bookmark)

Still no joy. Wonder if I should try a factory reset? After saving all my contacts of course!

Bizarrely, xxx (edited out now the problem is sorted, not sure I am supposed to mention names of browsers etc) seems to work as I am typing this on my phone. But, I am still getting the your browser is too old message. I will monitor things with this browser, thanks for your help Dan. I think removing all the bookmarks did the trick but god knows why ! :slight_smile:

No problem. Let me know If you need further assistance.

1 Like

Iā€™m not the mod but I donā€™t see a problem here. If names of browsers wouldnā€™t be allowed to mention then not even one should be mentioned at all and besides, I donā€™t believe either browser is illegal (at least of those weā€™re usually using) and none of them is SSiā€™s competition, SSi doesnā€™t make them. If mention of browsers was not allowed especially when thereā€™s a problem with our sites apps etc, then we shouldnā€™t mention ā€œchromeā€ ā€œieā€ ā€œfirefoxā€ etc either ā€¦

So I believe (but I very well can be wrong though since Iā€™m not one of forum staff) youā€™re on the safe ground.

Iā€™m glad you solve the problem though.

Pob lwc gyda sgwyny/dysgu nawr. :slight_smile:

I wouldnā€™t of thought mentioning a browser would be against the terms of use on the forum. Perhaps if you were directing a lot of negative opinion of a particular browser, that may be cause for concern.

Thanks, both. Bit of a thickie with forums and social media so just being sure. :smile:

1 Like

Iā€™m not exactly an official voice or anything, but I see no issue (or, rather, itā€™s actively helpful) in mentioning the software involved when youā€™re having issues. Bashing stuff needlessly is bad, but detailed reports are good.

Which I think is basically consistent with what Tatjana said.

3 Likes

Just a thought - and I say this as a diehard Apple user, so no idea how Andriod systems work - has your phone received the latest operating system update?
When you say your phone is old, how old is it?? Can it still receive current updates available for todayā€™s phones? Just wondering if itā€™s an OS issue then an update should fix all problems. But if your phone is too old for newer updates, it may mean you will need a new phone (hoping this is the VERY last resort mind!).
But the software update could be the key. Again not being familiar with Android devices, I could be totally wrong!

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for your help here, @Dan_Crosby - really kind of you to take the time :star: :star2:

As to browsers - yes, what Kev and Tatjana saidā€¦ :sunny:

3 Likes

Thatā€™s no problem, Iā€™m happy to help anyone with any technical difficulties. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi All, thanks again. Have not logged into forum until now to see the extra messages.

The browsers that wonā€™t work is Firefox but UC Browser seems to work. The phone is just over two years old and is still receiving updates so I guess it is just one of those things.

But, I am happy again because I can use the forum on my phone. Diolch yn fawr iawn!

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Now Iā€™d love to hear some more.

Iā€™m using it on tablet (android also) but Iā€™m not extra happy to be honest. I use Google chrome but canā€™t do most of the things except positng (no quoting like this:

And I have extra difficulties to mark the text at all.

The upper ā€œbarā€ of the browser also jumps up and down and this for if I want to touch ā€œmessageā€ sign t osee what masages Iā€™ve got, I have to turn tablet landscape way to be able to tap it bacause itā€™s all ā€œbashedā€ together if I have tablet turned portrait.

So, Iā€™m really eager to hear if someone else has such problems. Thx.

YAY! One more! The ā€œsupportā€ team is growing up. - :smiley:

1 Like

Iā€™ve taken a look into this and cannot find an option stop the bar moving up and down.

The website uses javascript to allow you to quote text, which isnā€™t supported on all mobile browsers. Unfortunately.

1 Like

Thank you @Dan_Crosby. So, my prefered platform will still be PC. :slight_smile: despite this ā€œold grannyā€ of me doesnā€™t have anything against using as much different tech toys as she could possibly hold a hand on. - hehe (OK, Iā€™m not that old either though :slight_smile: ).