Hello, I'm new!

I shall lay in wait for unsuspecting victims in that case! There is another brave soul in our village who is learning, so we have begun a weekly tradition of throwing random words at each other whilst drinking more tea than is statistically likely.
I have heard tell of a ‘proper’ first language Welsh speaker nearby, but the prospect of accosting him is terrifying! :smile:

4 Likes

Presuming he is not the local drug pusher/rapist etc. etc. he will probably be happy to have a chance to speak his mother tongue and not be at all frightening!
By the way, if you want to quote from a post, as @Iestyn did, and I did above, just click and highlight as if to copy and when you stop moving, you’ll see ‘Quote reply’ appear. Click on that and a new window will open with the quote in it. If you do that with a window open, as I have now, you can put the quote there by making sure that is where your next letter would appear

like so!
However, on my iPad, I am too cack-handed to manage this! It’s much easier on my laptop!

2 Likes

Fel hynny? This is marvellous - I’ve never posted on any forum before, having presumed myself well and truly in a black hole when it came to the skill set needed. Thank you @henddraig
I don’t thing the chap in question does either of those things for a living, and I’m not sure my welsh is up to asking!! :laughing:

1 Like

Only passing on what I learned from others! @tatjana is particularly helpful - she lives in Slovenia and I live in Scotland - Cymraeg bridges the world!! There is a thread/topic called “Really useful ‘How to’ stuff and other great posts”, let’s see if I can send you a link…try clicking here
To come back, just click the left hand arrow at the top of the screen.
Hwyl!

1 Like

I can imagine the introduction.

Cat-1 (nervously, in Welsh): Excuse me. I’m learning Welsh and I would like to speak with you. Do you sell drugs?

Innocent Welsh-speaker: ?

2 Likes

If he answers like that I shall have no trouble understanding him.

1 Like

Is that the little known English mutated form of ‘Do you sell trugs?’

3 Likes

I’d be much less surprised if he was a trug dealer.

1 Like

Helo, @cat-1! :wave:

Welcome to the forum!

2 Likes

S’mae Cat - pob llwyddiant! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Diolch Gareth! :smiley:

2 Likes

Thank you @Isata. :smile:

1 Like

SSiW courses have also changed my feeling that the struggle is failure! I laugh it off and I keep going. What a difference! I will admit, I can’t stop myself from looking at the vocabulary as I learn because it calms my nerves.

1 Like

I do find it quite alarming that there’s a lot of Welsh somewhere in my head and it’s not really written down in front of me, and I think that’s a hangover from trying to learn ‘conventionally’. Actually I still have a really old book - one of my first How To Speak Welsh books - I pat it now and then to reassure myself, but have not opened it just in case some strange switch in my brain is flipped and I go back to not being able to do it! The feeling that my brain has turned to scrambled egg, which before was SO disheartening, now feels like a sign that this is working. I really wish I had known that before! I’m so glad I know it now, and that there is this brilliant forum with friendly souls who don’t seem to mind scrambled egg brains like mine! :relieved:
@rebeccajones do you look at the vocab before you start the challenges, or whilst you listen to them?

2 Likes

Hi Cat, sorry I missed saying hi until now! Welcome and what an inspiring intro! Made me smile and reminded how good this Course really is! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I look as I listen. I’m not concerned about learning to write or read before I learn to speak but I do have a hard time listening to the words and not having any idea what they look like. Now that I have somewhat of an idea how letters go together to make sounds I might try to continue the lessons for awhile without looking and see how I do. It feels awkward but since I’m learning I’d prefer to learn effectively.

3 Likes

Thank you @a_jay :smiley:

2 Likes