Hello from South Africa

Yes absolutely. Following my family they have gone all over. Wales and the world haha.

I am confused. I say ‘diolch’ (ch as in loch in Scotland). I thought @aran and @Iestyn said ‘diolch’ too!! I hear ‘diolch’ on S4C and in the Sennedd on TV!!
p.s. My stepmother lived in SA for a while until her 1st husband died and my stepbrother went back there with his family until he realised his son spoke more Afrikaans than English! They lived in a place called Hendrina. I think it was a one-industry town, but I forget which industry! Power? Steel?..???.

Getting as far as 6b (and surviving it!) in 8 days is a genuinely superb rate of progress. Keep that up, and you’ll be having some genuinely interesting conversations a couple of months from now… :thumbsup: :star:

Go with the TH sound :smile:

1 Like

PS, that is a great rate of progress!

Diolch yn fawr AJay, I have re-mapped my neurological connectors and will do this from now on. Appreciate the help. :grin:

2 Likes

It’s ‘th’ as in English ‘these or thine’ rather than ‘thistle’. The sound you get with your tongue against the top palate near the back of the teeth and breathing out slowly, rather that the quick puff that gives ‘thanks!’.
I am not an expert at the best way to describe your pub trip, but your words to your wife sound very formal! What’s wrong with “Sorry I’m late, Cariad, had a quick pint with the boys after work!”??..um… “'N ddrwg Cariad, wedi mynd am pint gyda …” It would be ‘boys’ in Wenglish in SE Wales!!

1 Like

This version of ‘have’ uses cael, it is introduced in Lesson 24.
Wnes i cael cwrw yn y dafarn.

my guess…
Dw i’n moyn dod fory, ond fydda’i ddim yn gallu ei wneud e.

1 Like

Hi Craig. Thank you for your input.

I knew I was jumping the gun with the first scenario choices. I was trying to find a suitable work around. Do you think a Welsh speaker would have got the gist of what I was trying to say?

Your guess is correct for the second scenario (and I’m quite annoyed with myself for that), My English translation should have been “I am not going to be able to do it” - “dwi ddim yn mynd i gallu ei wneud e.”

Thanks again.and have a great weekend.

I would think Welsh speakers are quite used to learners mangling their language. :laughing: Since they would also know English, I think they’d understand.

2 Likes

Croeso, Chris!

I was thinking that given the Welsh you know at this point, you could say:

Dw i’n moyn dweud rhywbeth i ti. Wnes i fynd i’r dafarn a wnes i yfed cwrw.
I want to say something to you. I went to the pub and I drank a beer.

You haven’t learned “i ti” for “to you” yet, but you were close! :slight_smile: And I agree with Craig, you would have been understood.

I enjoyed reading your introduction. I’m from the US - it’s great that there are people from all over the world learning Welsh! You are doing great - da iawn ti, a dal ati! (Well done, and keep at it!)

2 Likes

You’re doing something very important by throwing yourself into this kind of attempt, Chris - keep it up - but don’t worry if anything isn’t quite perfect - everything you’ve tried so far would have been understood in a conversation :sunny:

Technically, you want ‘Dwi’n moyn dweud rhywbeth wrthot ti. Wnes i yfed cwrw yn y dafarn.’

And then: ‘Dwi’n moyn dod yfory, ond dwi ddim yn mynd i allu ei wneud e.’

So all in all, you were fantastically close, and definitely good enough to be understood :star: :star2:

1 Like

So now I’ve learned something, too…I haven’t learned “wrthot ti” yet. So we were both close :slight_smile:

New to me as well. Looking it up, it seems it’s used when indicating a attitude or behavior towards someone.

Those kind of things always causes problems to me. I’d rather stay with “i ti” if I could but it’s neccesary to just go on at one point and stop avoiding such (hard) things. :slight_smile:

To be honest: after going through (almost) all material I didn’t master those things yet and here’s quite way to go for me yet. :slight_smile:

Guide to level 1 South

"I thought today about purcheasing a milk and I don’t remember how to do it. So I rather walk to the pub and think about it.

I’ll be happy, because I’ll have a bear and I can see Wales to play rugby.

Will purchase milk tomorrow, when I remember.

Shooo, learning Welsh is hard and I like it very much.

Thanks friends."

This is literal translation of what you’ve written and I can say you are doing quite well. Spelling is a bit wrong but we all know SSi doesn’t teach you how to write and as you’ve seen, above is the guide for Level 1 Southern. Those who still have old page layout don’t have links to it and I know very well this can be very handy.

I’ll leave potential correction of your text to some else who has more expertise then I have (oh, :slight_smile: I have none at all though). Maybe I’d tag @faithless78 who does these things really really well. (among all the others, but he’s my favourite one in this area of things).

And … don’t say I see one more perfectionist alike me infront of me? We just have to learn ourselves how to abandon some of those “everything has to be perfect” habits, haven’t we? :slight_smile:

Pob lwc a dal ati!

1 Like

This is how I’m reading it…

"I thought about buying milk tonight, but I can’t remember how to do it. So I better walk to the pub and think about it.

You will be happy, because you will have a beer and I can see Wales playing rugby.

You will be buying milk tomorrow, when I remember.

(Not sure what “shoo” is supposed to mean!), learning to speak Welsh is hard, but I like it a lot.

Thanks friends."

I’m not sure if the “you” is meant to be there or if you’re speaking for yourself, but “byddi di…” means “you will be…”, so that’s how I’ve translated it.

As Tatjana said earlier, the southern course guide for level 1 is now available on the website (on the new layout at least!) and she has provided a link to this in her post. The old course 1 guide should also be available still.

Gav

1 Like

I was so “involved” with the first person that I literally overlooked that “you will” … And, sorry, I did literal translation instead of what one should read actually. :slight_smile: I knew you’re the best @faithless78!

Course 1 lesson guide South
Course 1 Vocab Lessons guide South

Now you have everything on the plate.

Enjoy!

I take it as if you’d say in English “Phiew” like “Phiew … I’ve managed to do that” for something what’s hard to do but you succeeded at the end or the thingy is finally (more or less successfully over). That’s why I didn’t translate it at all.

Might be I’m mistaking here aswell.

2 Likes

Hi Faithless78.

I hope you are well, thanks for the comment. :grinning:

I have rectified the terrible spelling mistake in my original post (changed bydda i’n) Your translation is word for word what I intended to say! I am really chuffed about that.

Shoo is a slang term we use here to show exhaustion. e.g. Shoo, that was a tough game of squash.

Diolch and have a great day. :beers:

1 Like

Hi tatijana

Oops, I see the mistake now. I meant to use bydda i’n (I needed to refer to the guide for spelling and wrote the wrong word). I’ve fixed the original post. If I remove my mistake :astonished: , both translations were pretty much exactly what I was trying to say. So I am happy with my progress for today. Thanks for taking the time to give me feedback.

Yes, “Shoo” is the South African slang equivalent of “Phiew” hahaha :smile: Well spotted (see, even in English we can communicate, even though one or two words are slightly different)

Thanks so much for sending me the link to the guide, I spent about an hour looking for them last night. I really appreciate it.

Have a great day :beers:

1 Like