Hello again + looking for people learning minority languages

Feels so good to be back on the forum after my long absence (I think the last time I was actively present was in 2016) - not sure if anyone still remembers me - but I remember all of you wonderful people who have helped me so much with my Welsh! The forum has changed a bit and many new people have appeared but it feels as warm and friendly as ever:)
And here’s my plea for help:
I’m currently working as a content editor for an English course for a large online school - but of course I wouldn’t be me if I wasn’t trying to promote Welsh in some way. So we’re planning to write a lesson on minority and endangered languages and @aran has so very kindly agreed to help us with it, but I would like to collect stories of people learning minority languages and use them as an additional reading/listening task. So if everyone is interested in getting a bit of fame I would be so happy to publish your story:)
We have more than 11000 students at the moment (Russian, Ukrainian, Belarusian, Kazakh, and soon Chinese and Spanish), so this is a chance to show people how much indigenous languages matter and how people can care enough to be learning them. This is particularly important in Russia, as there are many languages under threat here, and in Belarus where the native language is disappearing because people mainly just speak Russian.
We already have a Welsh story, but if you are learning or know someone who’s learning Gaelic, Manx, Breton, Cornish, Kashubian or any other language and are willing to write about your experience, please write here or PM me:)
Diolch yn fawr iawn!

7 Likes

Hello @seren!

What an interesting project! :slight_smile:

Let me just start with a couple of questions, though:

I understand you’re looking for people who are learning any minority language of the world BUT Welsh - because you already have a story about it, right?

In any case, by when do you need them?

There’s a few minority languages here in Italy, as you certainly know.
I’m learning Welsh, and when I say it, the second most common reaction (right after “why don’t you learn an useful language instead?”) is:
“why don’t you learn a local minority language or dialect, instead?” :roll_eyes:

Sometimes they make me feel almost guilty for this, but anyway…if you’re not too much in a hurry I’m pretty sure I can find someone who does learn a local minority language who could be willing to write about it/talk to you - if you like.

2 Likes

Delighted to see you back on the forum, Stella! And lovely to talk to you the other day… :slight_smile:

For those of you who don’t remember her, Stella is currently living in Belarus, comes from (or just used to live in?) Yekaterinburg in Russia, also speaks Italian, and has now got a Welsh-speaking partner who she met sort-of-via SSiW… :star: :star2:

And we’re hoping very much to see her up in the north when she’s next in Wales… :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Hello Gisella! Nice to finally meet you - I’ve been reading your posts here and on fb and love your Welsh postcards project - hope I’ll be able to join too:)
We have Aran’s interview about Welsh in the lesson, so I thought it would be a good idea to have other languages in the homework (which the stories will be a part of).
We don’t have a definite deadline - the lesson will probably be written and released about the end of February, so we can certainly wait a bit:)

I also feel a bit guilty I’m not learning Saami (which is one of my heritage languages) so I know what you’re talking about. But there’s just something about Welsh that has always been very special to me.

That would be just wonderful - by the way, I’m a fan of local Italian languages and dialects, especially the Southern ones.

2 Likes

@aran
Thank you so much - I loved talking to you again, was delighted to be introduced to Beca and am very much hoping to see you in January:)

2 Likes

Nice to meet you too. :slight_smile:

However I’d like to say that I’ve mentioned the the Welsh Postcards project on Facebook, but I’m just a member - the one who created it is @nia.llywelyn! :clap:

Same here! :wink:

And well, it’s not that I don’t like local Italian and dialects - at least now as an adult, because as a kid, I thought they were just stuff for old people or (our equivalent of) rednecks. :laughing:
And I didn’t want to have anything to do with them. :grimacing:
A bit like many Welsh kids, and especially ex-kids I’ve met because now it’s probably a bit cooler than it was in the 80s and 90s or earlier.

There’s so many accents and variations and dialects here, isn’t it?
And I think I agree with you for Campania and Sicilia especially that are the best sounding for me, along with Toscana (although this may get a bit too posh at times).
I live in Piedmont, where the accent is funny and despite the similarities with French, unfortunately not as sexy. :smiley:

Anyway, I’ll see what I can find and keep in touch!

p.s. seeing Aran’s post now…by the way, I’m always hoping to create a group of Italian-spealing/learning Welsh learners/speakers so if you want to join the club let me know, and I’ll keep you updated if I succeed!

2 Likes

Oh, I must have misread or forgotten - so sorry Nia!

I’ve noticed there’s this kind of thinking associated with most indigenous languages - they’re quite often linked with strong nationalistic movements, and some people don’t want to support that - that’s why, partly, Belarusian is weak now.

I love the Sicilian accent - along with the ones from Puglia - especially greco salentino.
I used to live in Emilia Romagna, but I’m not a big fan of accento modenese!

That would be really great - diolch yn fawr a diolch yn fawr for your help with finding Italian learners of minority languages!

2 Likes

@seren Great to see you back! All the best with the project. I’m currently trying to learn Basque - does that count? I suppose it’s in the same situation as Welsh with official status but not widely spoken across the whole Basque Country, varying from 80% of the population in some areas to none in others.

2 Likes

Diolch! Oh yes, that definitely counts! Would you be interested in writing about 150-200 words for us about why you are learning Basque and how it is going so far?

I’d like to but it depends how quickly you need it. I have a uni assignment to finish this weekend before I start travelling for Christmas on Monday.

1 Like

Lovely to hear from you again @seren. And of course you can join the Postcard project too. There are people from all over the world. Which reminds me… I need to write a card or too. And when you come to Wales next (month?) remember you have a host just waiting for you here.:upside_down_face::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

@Deborah-SSi Oh, there’s absolutely no rush, I think we’ll start writing the lesson around the end of February.

@margaretnock Diolch yn fawr! I’d love to see you again:) I still have this pretty cookie box at home which reminds me of you all the time:)

1 Like

Oh yes, I remember.

Great! Yes, I should be able to write something then :slight_smile:

1 Like

A fellow SSiW learner who lives near Caernarfon is from the USA and is a minority language guru
His name is Trey McCain

1 Like

Hi Seren. I’ve just finished Level Three Welsh with SSiW and am about to learn Cornish, if that’s of interest to you. I also learned Anglo-Saxon and Middle English at University quite some time ago!
I’m happy to put something in writing if you’d like ? :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you! Is there a way I could get in touch with him?

@lin-2
Hello! Oh, thank you, that would be excellent if you could write something about why you’re learning Welsh and Cornish:)

Since these days I might be going around Valli Occitane for short trips…do people for the minority language project have to be able to write the story (or at least communicate) in English?
Or Italian would be ok?

I think.there’s many challenges associated with learning a minority language, but one undoubted advantage is the gratitude felt by the speakers of those minority language for the very fact that you’re making the effort to learn it. It can open up so many more doors and lead to such deep friendship and willingness to adopt you in to their culture that you generally just don’t get if you learn another majority language.

2 Likes

Italian would be perfectly fine as long as these people are willing to have their story translated into English:)

1 Like