Hawl Nawr?

I have recently encountered the somewhat surprising expression “hawl nawr” which appears to mean the same as “rwan hyn” in other words “right now” in English.

After a little pondering, it occurred to me that this could have been a contextual mistranslation. “nawr” = “now” of course and “hawl” = “right” but in the sense of “entitlement” as opposed to “exactly” or “*correct”

So it is quite possible that a literal translation (by a machine, or a non-native speaker equipped with a Dictionary) could translate “Right Now” as “Hawl Nawr

I must admit that I have only seen this in writing and not heard it, ever, with my ears. But I do live in the far North, where “rwan hyn” would be more likely.

Has anyone else come across “hawl nawr” - and should I consider it a mistake, because it appears quite rare and explainable by mis-translation? Or has it “Become part of the language by usage” and hence now a valid expression? Any ideas?

I’ve never come across it. The only thing close I have heard is “Hwyl nawr”, meaning “goodbye now”. I think you could be right that it’s a mis-translation, but it’ll be interesting to see if anyone else knows of it.

Diolch, Siaron :slight_smile:

Google Translate English->Welsh for “right now” gives “ar hyn o bryd”, which I use for “at the moment”

Google Translate Welsh->English for “hawl nawr” does give “right now” … but that, I think, is just a word-for-word from Google

I tend to suspect it has emerged from auto translation, but a Google search suggests it has happened on-record at least half-a-dozen times

It doesn’t help that “right” is such an ambiguous word in English!

1 Like