Happy New Year to Everybody

Blwyddyn Newydd Dda I Bawb

7 Likes

Thank you. Happy new year to everyone too. I’ve been a bit quiet on the forum lately, but I’m still learning. Now’s a good time to say a huge thank you to everyone for their encouragement, conversation and general support. :clap:

7 Likes

Blwyddyn newydd dda pawb! :heart:

5 Likes
4 Likes

Blwyddyn Newydd Dda i bawb! :tada: :fireworks: :tada:

5 Likes

Diolch :slight_smile:

Blwyddyn Newydd Dda i bawb!

5 Likes

Blwyddyn newydd dda i bawb!

5 Likes

Blwyddyn Newydd Dda:)
С Новым Годом, с новым счастьем - New year, new happiness as we say here in Russia and Belarus:)

9 Likes

Blwyddyn Newydd Dda i bawb! Diolch yn fawr am eich help (Thank you very much for your help)!

4 Likes

Blwyddyn newydd dda i bob un ohonoch chi - a very happy New Year to every one of you… :slight_smile: :star: :heart:

4 Likes

Blwyddyn Newydd Dda from Finland! It’s midnight here now :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I Bawb!!
Blwyddyn Newydd Dda!
I sincerely hope 2017 is a lot better than I expect for the whole world!
Diolch for all the friendship and the daily hiraeth-cure!!!
I cannot mention those to whom I am especially grateful, as I’m not allowed that many @ names, but you know who you are!! (I hope!).

2 Likes

hyvää uutta vuotta. ottaa hauskaa hiihto Suomi - Ruka

2 Likes

Hyvää uutta vuotta! Are you going to be passing through Helsinki at any point? :slight_smile:

no unfortunately going home tomorrow. Beautiful country and a wonderful lnaguage 1 can’t evdn guess the words.

1 Like

I met a travel rep from crystal ski the other day who was from Liverpool and spoke welzh fluentlty. he had grown up in North Wales, so tbere are other Welsh speakers in Finland working in the ski resorts. My first word in Finnish was Kiitos, a word that has firmly stuck.

1 Like

Wohoo! Now I know of four other people in Finland who speak Welsh!

3 Likes

Great! I’ve translated my first Finnish - thanks to Google translate.

2 Likes

Google translate is pretty bad at Finnish, sadly… English and Finnish have very different sentence structures sometimes. For example, “I’m having fun skiing” can’t really be translated to Finnish easily, especially not with Google translate.

I was going to write a huge reply about Finnish grammar but realised it might be a bit boring for everyone since this is a forum about Welsh :smile:

Basically, Google Translate often translates word for word which doesn’t work in Finnish.

“(Olen) pitämässä hauskaa hiihtämässä Suomessa - Rukalla” would be a literal translation of the whole sentence (and not each word separately), but even that doesn’t work properly. I think you would have to change it to something like “I’m skiing and having fun” or something like “I’m skiing in Finland. It’s fun.” :smile:

Sorry, I’ll stop - I think I’m starting to like Finnish grammar a bit too much now that I haven’t had to study it in a while :blush:

4 Likes

And to you and everyone else!
Started SSIW around January 2015, alongside some formal Welsh lessons. The two didn’t mix so i dropped the SSIW (bad choice on reflection!). No longer in the formal Welsh class, so 2017 I am back at the beginning. Level One :slight_smile:

1 Like