Had my first little chat yesterday

Had a little golden moment yesterday, I’m on holiday on Ynys Môn, (Angelesey) and went to Llanfair Pg to buy a few thinks, when I went to pay, I said to the young lady Shwmae and she answered in Welsh, that’s when I panicked :rofl: I said mae’n ddrwg gen i ond wnes i ddim dallt (I’m sorry but I don’t understand) I explained that I’m only a beginner, she said that she’s fluent welsh, she asked me where I come from in Welsh and I answered in Welsh, I said dw i wedi bod yn dysgu siarad Cymraeg am tua Blwyddyn (I have been Learning for about a year) she asked am I at college (in English) I explained Im a member of SSiW and we have chat with zoom and have lessons each week, she said I should feel proud and to carry on practicing, I did make a bit of a fool of myself, when she said I should feel proud of myself I said dylet ti’n diemlo balch ohonot ti dy hun back to her the realised I’de said you should feel proud of yourself :rofl: I then said dw i’n gobeithio siarad Cymraeg llawer mwy blwyddyn nesa, i said I’m feeling embarrassed now she said not to and she’s made up I’m making the effort, I came away feeling proud and humble

10 Likes

Da iawn i ti, Stephen.
Well done. You’ve had your first real conversation in the wild.

1 Like

Feeling proud and makes me want to learn more, just wish I could understand more

3 Likes

Well done ineed! Your first “wild” Welsh is a huge step :slight_smile: . Understanding more will come in time. Until then, a handy phrase to keep nearby is “eto ond arafach plîs” (again but slower please) - that will help on lots of occasions, but even for the times when a slower repetition still leaves you behind, don’t be embarrassed, just say you haven’t got to that bit yet! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks Sharon I’ll remember that, I’ve just said shwmae sut wyt ti she replied da Iawn diolch I ti, I did explain I’m struggling a bit with understanding, she said which part, I said all of it :rofl: she did explain how things are different, and I said diolch, everyone seems eager to help, lovely people

1 Like

@stephen-22 That first conversation is such a mix of emotions. I remember it well. Congratulations on taking the plunge and happy learning.

Diolch, it’s a nice feeling trying, everyone is really helpful

4 Likes

Da iawn, ti! It takes a lot of guts to speak Welsh in the wild for the first time. That’s wonderful! …and don’t feel embarassed. We all make mistakes - that’s how we learn. :slight_smile: Dal ati!

Diolch, Yeah it was a nice feeling, and the people were so nice,

I thought sut dach chi was normal Gog usage?

Sut dach chi and sut wyt ti mean the same but one is formal and the other informal
(I think)

1 Like

The N/S difference is in pronounciation, but both are understood everywhere.
S - sut is often pronounced shwd, so you get shwd dych chi (plural & formal) and shwd wyt ti (singular & informal), and shwmae
N - sut is pronounced as it is spelt, so you get sut dach chi (plural & formal) and sut wyt ti (singular & informal) and sutmae (or s’mae), but you do also get shwmae in the North too.

2 Likes

My Southern friend generally uses sut, possibly because he’s a Welsh medium teacher. I hear swt a fair bit (possibly Kate Crocket) who is great to listen to for Southern Cymraeg. And I think it has to be rhwysut for “somehow” throughout Wales. Such fun playing around with that word.

1 Like