Gŵyl Newydd - Newport Welsh Festival

Shwmae everyone!

Various Welsh language organisations in Newport are coming together to host a FREE Welsh language festival between 12pm and 4pm on Saturday 15th September at Malpas Court, Newport.

There’ll be loads of activities, stalls and live music. The event is open to everyone, more information is available on the poster below.

There will also be various events across Gwent in the week leading up to the festival, including a history talk at the Cwtsh on Stow Hill on Monday night. Details below:

Hwyl am y tro,

Thomas

3 Likes

More events during the week…

Rhisiart Arwel will be performing at the Woodfield Arms, Chepstow on Wednesday, 12/9/18.

1 Like

More events confirmed for next week…

Just a reminder that the main event takes place tomorrow at Malpas Court!

You can reach the venue by taking the number 19 bus from Newport city centre or if you’re coming down from Pontypool/Cwmbran the 15 or X3 buses will stop nearby.

Croeso i bawb!

Well the event was a success! We had hundreds of visitors. A massive diolch to SSIW regulars @cuckoo and @jamesmahoney for all their help on the day. They were absolutely bendigedig fair play. Great to see @llanddinol there too!

Roll on next year!

1 Like

Yes it was a real treat, the school choirs and Mei Gwynedd were great. By the way Cor y Dreigiau
had some good feedback too.

3 Likes

I went to this festival with my daughter (who doesn’t speak welsh) and my baby granddaughter and we had a lovely time. My granddaughter (aged 6 months) really enjoyed the story and song session for young children (and so did Nana :laughing:) and my daughter is now looking into taking her to a welsh playgroup (cylch ti a fi). We listened to some nice music outside but, unfortunately, we couldn’t stay any longer as the baby needed a feed. I also managed to speak quite a bit of welsh - especially with the lady running the story and song session who had learnt welsh herself and spoke very clearly. I’m looking forward to going again next year.

2 Likes

from Welsh language arts festival Gŵyl Newydd unveils online events

Welsh language arts festival Gŵyl Newydd unveils online events

Gŵyl Newydd 2021.

Newport Council have revealed details of this year’s Welsh language arts festival which will be staged online later this month.

Gŵyl Newydd, now in its fourth year, will once again offer its programme online via the AM website and app, launching the content on 25 September.

An eclectic mix of five prominent Welsh language acts will feature, each performing a set of three songs in five different Newport venues. The events were recorded over two days in August.

N’famady Kouyaté is a master balafonist, singer, percussionist, multi-instrumentalist from Guinea West Africa who performed against the dramatic backdrop of the Roman amphitheatre in Caerleon.

Eädyth, who featured on BBC Gorwelion/Horizons, recorded her set of electronic dance music on the gondola of the historic transporter bridge, while singer Mali Haf performed her relaxed, soulful set in Newport’s independent record store, Diverse Vinyl.

Singer-songwriter Lily Beau performed three new songs at the Riverfront theatre and Dewi and Gwyn from Los Blancos showcased a stripped-back, acoustic set of their brand-new EP at Le Pub.

Ambitious

There will be a virtual collaborative exhibition curated by Rhianwen Williams presenting multi-media work by some of Wales’ most exciting artists.

The exhibition aims to reflect a complete portrait of Wales today. In response to the brief ‘What is Welshness for me’, the exhibition presents work by 11 different artists: Angharad Franziska, Billy Bagilhole, Erin Jones, Hen Wragedd a Ffilm, Llawn, Lucy Evans, Lyra Film, Morgan Davies, Owain Jones, Rhys Webber & Torri+Gludo.

In addition to the music, Gŵyl Newydd 2021 is offering a series of talks, and events for children, including a special bedtime story, a Welsh medium BSL animation, yoga, a discussion between 4 from 4 corners of the world, as well as a special podcast curated by Sôn am Sîn.

Owain Williams, Organiser of Gŵyl Newydd, said: “Despite the challenges faced this year, we are thrilled to be able to announce a comprehensive, imaginative and ambitious programme for Gŵyl Newydd 2021.

“This is an opportunity for us to support, celebrate and promote Newport’s growing Welsh language community through contemporary music, art and culture. We believe that this year’s programme is a significant, progressive step for the festival and conveys the enthusiasm of the local area in facilitating Welsh-medium opportunities.

“After months of hard work, it is very exciting to see our vision for Gŵyl Newydd 2021 blossom. We welcome viewers – from far and wide – to enjoy Gŵyl Newydd 2021”.