Guardian article on Welsh medium schoools

I complained to the Guardian about this article because they had misquoted Save the Children and made the Welsh-only reference. I received a very good reply from the paper. ThIs is a section:

“The article has been amended online to clarify a number of details including the quote from Save the Children and references to a Welsh-only education. We also intend to run a clarification in our corrections and clarifications column tomorrow.”

5 Likes

And just to prove that WE know what we’re talking about and how biased the Guardian article was - there was this news this week: Welsh school wins prestigious English public speaking contest.

2 Likes

That was actually a few months ago, but the point still stands.

Ah yes, it’s dated April. It’s been flying about social media lately, but I suppose that’s in reply to the Guardian to make the point.

Diolch @Deborah-SSi It may be old news, but I’d missed it! If any on this Forum live near Barry, do, please, send Llongyfarchiadau to Ysgol Bro Morganwg and, especially to the three young people concerned!

A related topic: anyone on here familiar with the work of the linguist Tove Skutnabb-Kangas? (yes, her real name; here is a sample of her work: http://r.duckduckgo.com/l/?kh=-1&uddg=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.coe.int%2Ft%2Fdg4%2Flinguistic%2FSource%2FSkutnabb-KangasEN.pdf). I am writing an essay about the efforts by the people of Wales to preserve and strengthen their language, and about what issues are encountered in their endeavours. I have specific references (Siôn Jobbins, Cymdeithas yr iaith, Llywodraeth Cymru), but need more general academic ones, and stumbled across an article by said author entitled “Linguistic diversity - curse or blessing?” She comes out strongly in favour of linguistic diversity, and compares “the ideology of monolingual reductionism” with (ultimately) totalitarianism and fundamentalism, along the lines of “one state - one nation - one language” and “one religion - one culture - one party - one leader”. Strong stuff I know, but her basic idea - namely that diversity at al levels is a good thing - appeals to me. I know diversity is also on the agenda of Cymdeithas. Does anyone have any further knowledge of and/or views on her work? Any input much appreciated.

3 Likes

Not helpful to you, Louis, but I was instantly reminded of Star Trek, Vulcan and the symbol meaning Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations which defines life in all its wonderful forms. IDIC is a naughty name for Gene Roddenberry to have given it, as the Vulcan language would not have fitted that acronym, but I was greatly impressed with his postulating a society which learned from its own violence and turned to logic and the valuing of ‘IDIC’!

1 Like

I am writing an essay about the efforts by the people of Wales to preserve and strengthen their language,

Will you publish this? I’d love to read it. :smile:

3 Likes

Really? It will be my pleasure to send you a copy in due course, Huw.

3 Likes

Snap… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Snap eto! :blush:

1 Like