Grammar! "dw i" is "verb+I"; what is the verb for chi/ti?

Hi, if normal Welsh has verb first, and “I” am doing whatever is “dw i” + whatever, then what is the verb for chi/ti (for example, what is the “you read” that matches “dw i’n darllen”?

In formal and written welsh you will find “rwyt”(for ti), but in speech it’s normally dropped in statements (Ti’n disgwyl 'di blino - You look tired). The question form is “wyt”: Wyt ti’n iawn? - Are you okay?
Although in this example it would also be perfectly fine to drop the verb (Ti’n iawn?, akin to asking “You okay?” in English)
Forgot you were asking about “chi” as well, but that was answered by Siaron in the meantime :slight_smile:

1 Like

yes, what Hendrik said! For chi, the pronounciation does vary a bit but would be “dach chi’n…” or “dych chi’n…” e.g. dach chi’n edrych yn dda = you’re looking good.

2 Likes

Thank you so much!

1 Like

You’ll find the ‘d’ tends to disappear off the front in the south as well, so in speech it sounds more like ‘ych chi’ :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you for the help – goes far to explain a listening problem I’ve been having!

2 Likes