Google translate

Is Google translate a good tool for learning welsh? I type in a phrase I think I know and a lot of the time it comes up different.Is it because it’s translating in northern or southern or a little of both?

I’d say a little of both. I’m using it only for proofing some things and for translation if I really don’t know something but even then I go for the context of translation rather then literal translation so quite many adaptions are needed sometimes. However I found it still the best among all translators you can find on the net.

I would only use a translation service just to check my own translations - ie, Cymraeg - English. It’s ok to check most phrases, but I wouldn’t depend on them. Largely because they’re not dialect specific. For example, some good translation services will translate a piece of dialectual Welsh back into English how you would expect, but to change it back to Welsh it will probably try to standardise the Welsh instead of going back to its original dialect, and will use more formal Welsh instead of colloquial - which is also fine if you want that, but won’t be as helpful for natural speech.
So yes, use it sparingly, but don’t rely on it!

1 Like

I’d say Google is useful for single words but I still check the dictionary as well!! (My efforts with the Cymraeg used for ‘gelding’ at Y Sioe Frenhinol are documented elsewhere in the Forum!!!)

I’ve been using http://mymemory.translated.net a lot lately as it gives the example sentences it used for the translation there on screen for context.

1 Like

Be very careful with Google translate, mostly it is OK if you can accept northern Welsh but sometimes it is completely wrong. When in doubt ALWAYS refer to another source.

1 Like

Thanks for all you’re input on this subject everyone. I think that I will only use google translate for learning single words and with a little caution at that.

1 Like

If you’re interested in just single words you might be much better off with Ap Geiriaduron on iOS/Android or http://geiriadur.bangor.ac.uk/

I find Google Translate’s useful if you want to quickly get the gist of a large block of text, or for double-checking for typos in something you’ve written. I don’t think it’s particularly useful for ‘learning’ words (which, indeed, it doesn’t claim to be, so fair do :)).

2 Likes

Let’s try this one! Diolch. :slight_smile: - ----------------- downloading ---------------------- :slight_smile:

This one, right?

Well there’s not more then one anyway …

2 Likes

Looks like it, yep.

1 Like

I’ve tried it a bit but will have to get used to it. There are so many words, bit of explanations and stuff. Looks perfect though. Thank you in deed.

1 Like