Geifa

What is the difference between ‘cacen’ and ‘teisen’? And what is the Welsh for the financial ‘balance’ of a account? Dictionaries do not seem to know!!

The only difference between cacen and teisen is that they are regional variations (generally cacen in the South and teisen in the North).

This is what Geiriadur Yr Academi gives for balance in a financial sense:

BALANCE: Commerce:Finance:(=what is left): gweddill m balance in hand arian m mewn llaw to pay the balance talu’r gweddill balance carried forward arian a ddygir ymlaen balance due dyled f (dyledion), arian dyledus, gweddill dyledus Sterling balances daliannau Sterling, gweddillau Sterling balance of payments mantol daliadau, cydbwysedd taliadau, mantolen f daliadau

I hear a lot more cacen than teisen these days (down south), but I always thought cacen was gog and teisen was more southern.

… or the other way around. :wink:

1 Like

The balance of an account is “gweddill” meaning “remainder”, i.e. what is left behind but I’ve also seen mantoli in dictionaries to mean to balance the accounts as i bookkeeping (I assume).

1 Like

not according to Geiriadur Yr Academi :confused:

FWIW, we have Teisen here (Swansea) rather than cacen. On the other hand, we also have leicio, but it’s pronounced something like Luco :slight_smile:

Oh, ok. I’ve usually heard cacen in the north so kind of assumed. My bad. :blush:

to be honest, I had to look it up to check when I posted originally because having learnt both versions of these and many other words I’ve lost track of what comes from where! :joy:

Of course as with all N/S options, it is only a very general rule these days - there are pockets of S words up here and pockets of N words down there, and you don’t have to switch once you pass Aberystwyth! :wink:

1 Like

I looked up cakes on GPC, most, but not all of the teisen cakes, tesien lap (which I love) and expressions like “teisen heb wybod i’r siop” - a cake made from whatevers left over in the cupboard are Southern and most of the Cacen ones, if not all of them are Northern.

My mam-gu from Abertawe and my mum always said teisen, so Im now a bit confused.

Not sure why I put leicio and Teisen in the same sentence. Probably just word association :slight_smile:

1 Like

Listening to Radio Cymru about Cardiff bocs Melyn. Trying to work out if it meant bus, AA box? Gatso?

Ah, painted yellow line box on junction!

No easier in English :grimacing:

I learned “cacen” on the Welsh course that focused on speaking colloquial Welsh and I’m in North Wales, so I’m also confused. We did learn “teisen” too, but the word we actually used was “cacen”.

1 Like

What did you learn in the old SSiW course? We definitely had ‘teisen’ in the southern version :slight_smile:

1 Like

My cake tin says teisin andmIm in the middle😳

It must have been cacen I guess, I don’t remember it being in the old course but if it was it definitely wasn’t teisen. I’ve always said cacen so maybe from the course, of course. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Whoever wrote this obviously believes Teisen to be Southern as well - well it is, but cacen is also very common down here as well now, maybe because of Cyw etc etc. I expect both are used North and South, but one is heard more than the other.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/lifestyle/fun-stuff/26-words-mean-same-totally-9716729w

GPC has early spellings of cacen as Kaken as well, so it was in use in Welsh when there was still a K in the alphabet.