Future SSiW Events - questionnaire

Apart from last weekend, every other SSiW party we’ve had has been small scale - one informal evening, light buffet, one special guest, lots of fun.

But this last weekend has opened our eyes as to what’s possible to achieve with ambition, creativity and some exceptional organisational skills from a dedicated team.

Many missed out on the 10th celebrations weekend and are asking when the next will be. Many who attended, had such a great time that they’re also asking when the next will be.

So this has got us thinking - what’s stopping us from doing it again? Rather than it specifically being a birthday celebration, it could be a mini festival? There are already a range of different venues, activities, artists and celebrities whirling around in my head. So we’re seriously beginning to put our feelers out and we want your opinion.

1) Would you be interested in attending an SSiW mini festival?

2) Do you think we should organise this for 2/3/4/5 years time, or further in the future?

3) Work and family wise, would you be able to attend a three day/two night(ish) event with plenty of notice?

4) In which month(s) of the year would you prefer to see something like this happening?

• May?
  • June?
  • July?
  • August?
  • Other?

5) Thinking of venues - I am unable to organise on this kind of scale in a venue far from home, so unfortunately the Canolbarth or y De aren’t viable options. Therefore, which of these would you prefer for a weekend event,

6) We purposefully kept the ticket prices for this weekend to a minimum, because we wanted the opportunity to celebrate our learners, for the weekend to feel like a gift and be full of surprises. But if we were organise a SSiW festival in the future, what is the maximum ticket price you would be willing to pay for the whole weekend, without accommodation?

• £65
  • £85
  • £100
  • Something else?

7) Which kind of activities would you like to see as part of the weekend?

8) Which artists/celebrities/authors/poets/special guests would you like to see taking part in the weekend?

Diolch in advance for any feedback. I look forward to collecting data and see where we go from here. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Yes :smile:
2) Do you think we should organise this for 2/3/4/5 years time, or further in the future?
Every 2 years with more sustantial events on the multiples of 5th and 10th anniversaries
3) Work and family wise, would you be able to attend a three day/two night(ish) event with plenty of notice?
Being retired, yes, but I recognise I’m lucky there
4) In which month(s) of the year would you prefer to see something like this happening?
All the UK summer months are better for weather
5) Thinking of venues - I am unable to organise on this kind of scale in a venue far from home, so unfortunately the Canolbarth or y De aren’t viable options. Therefore, which of these would you prefer for a weekend event,
The Galeri in Caernarfon?
6) We purposefully kept the ticket prices for this weekend to a minimum, because we wanted the opportunity to celebrate our learners, for the weekend to feel like a gift and be full of surprises. But if we were organise a SSiW festival in the future, what is the maximum ticket price you would be willing to pay for the whole weekend, without accommodation?
I’d go for £65 (+ inflation) to make the events open to as many as possible
We have a great range of musical and other talent among us. To include this and our international makeup, how about something along the lines of the Llangollen Eisteddfod?
8) Which artists/celebrities/authors/poets/special guests would you like to see taking part in the weekend?
We haven’t had many sports personalities so far (as far as I’m aware)

1 Like

You’ve really asked for it now! I sent a private reply, to spare everyone my incoherent expressions of delight at the prospect.

7 Likes

I’ve been out all day and I’m tired, so I’ll reply more fully tomorrow, but I just wanted to say that if it’s possible to have more flexibility on numbers and the ability to have places available for people who don’t know if they can make it until quite near the time, it would be appreciated.

In some months I don’t know until pretty much the last minute whether I’m free or not because of other commitments, but the party sold out immediately ages before the event, so there was no chance for me to attend.

2 Likes

I’m sure, that it we could work out the finances, we could technically keep a handful of places back for people like you, who can’t commit till nearer the time. But what we’ll have to do next time is have a definite cut off point, which we didn’t clearly do this time - we were counting numbers up and down till the last minute which took up a lot of admin time and made things tricky with the venue. As a result we were left with far more food than we needed. So booking refinements are definitely needed for next time. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just a quick word about the venues.

Weekend guests are now familiar with the Galeri and all that Caernarfon has to offer. It has great transport links, a good cross section of different types of accommodation, is very Welsh, has great shops, pubs and restaurants. It’s been our jome town more or less now for nearly three years and I love it.

But please check out Nant Gwrtheyrn’s website before considering your choice. They now have en-suite B&B accommodation, self catering cottages a bunkhouse, space to park campers and motorhomes and somewhere to pitch tents if needed. They have a cafe and a bar and a large function room with a spacious veranda overlooking the sea. They have several conference/meeting rooms and ample space for outside activities. There’s a path down to the beach and the sunsets are spectacular in the spring and summer.

So whilst I absolutely love Caernarfon, its atmosphere, amenities and convenience, it’s also worth considering the possibility of spending a weekend in the Nant and having a wide array of activities available throughout the event.

5 Likes

I would be very interested in attending a SSiW festival. Ideally as often as possible, so every two years would be great. :grinning: I’d be happy with the Galeri again, but Nant Gwrtheyrn would be good also for a bit of variety. I feel like I got more than my £50 worth last weekend, so I would be willing to pay up to £100 next time.

4 Likes

hi Catrin, So loved last weekend and in fact feeling a bit flat this week having come back to home/work and only speaking English again.
I would definitely be interested in other future events, even annually and agree that having looked at the details on line for Nant Gwrtheyrn, it looks like an excellent venue in addition to Caernarfon. I am not restricted by time of year if I have enough notice to book leave from work but due to being a non-driver I’ve found that public transport can be a little bit more limited in winter months. I agree with Hishiv that last weekend was value for money and so happy to pay more than that. Hope this helps Karyn

1 Like

Yes.

2 years and 5 years.

Yes

• May?
  • June?
  • July?
  • August?
  • Other?

Sort of doesn’t matter but you need to consider Yr Urdd, yr Eisteddfod, any actual bootcamp that may be running, school holidays, the whole picture.

Caernarfon was a great venue with multiple types of accommodation and the Galeri. I saw Nant G and while it’s a stunning location with plenty of space it’s not so easy to get to, or leave, by public transport and while I do drive I try not to. I left Caernarfon, with someone else, on a 06 35 bus on Wednesday which I really doubt I could have done from the Nant. There would also be less chance to interact with the locals for language practice or for spreading the word.

• £85

Food, music, perhaps a film or two, perhaps talks by SSIWers on their fields of interest (think Elizabeth Jane Corbett).

Aneurin Karadog, a Plaid MP, Beti George, Carys Mathews,

[/quote]

4 Likes
  1. SSiW mini festival? Absolutely
  2. 2/3/4/5 years time, or further in the future? Every 2 years gwych
  3. Three day/two night(ish) event with plenty of notice? 3 days 2 nights
  4. Which month(s) of the year? Apr/May due to rainy season in June lol
  5. Thinking of venues: Quite like the sound of Nant Gwrtheym but further south even better :wink:
  6. Maximum ticket price you would be willing to pay for the whole weekend, without accommodation?
    I think £80-100 would be do-able exc accomodation
  7. Which kind of activities would you like to see as part of the weekend?
    Some rock groups lively performers I’m not a folk music person really, but open to most activities
  8. Which artists/celebrities/authors/poets/special guests would you like to see taking part in the weekend? Maybe someone like Iolo a wildlife ambassador or an animal rescue person. Someone funny like Elis James maybe…
1 Like

Can I counsel against any party political presence at the events (or indeed on the forum). It would send out misleading messages about what we are about which is encouraging and supporting people to “Say Something in Welsh” (or at least, I hope and trust that remains the case).

4 Likes

Maybe one of the questions in the questionnaire should be ‘would you be more likely to come to the event by car or using public transport?’ (Tagging @CatrinLliarJones)

1 Like

Yes, very much so
I’m sure many of us would opt for 2 years
Luckily, yes.
Any time from late spring to early autumn while taking @margaretnock’s point into account

Either Galeri or Nant Gwrtheyrn would be great, but taking @margaretnock’s point on access by public transport. That said, I’m sure many would be happy to offer lifts and with Pwllheli Station only about 20 mins away hopefully shared taxis shouldn’t be too expensive and there seems to be a 2-hourly bus service to Pwllheli from Llithfaen above Nant Gwrtheyrn.

During their language courses Nant G does often already invite local people to have some sort of sgwrs with learners on one evening a week - perhaps that could be expanded for a SSiW festival; also if there’s a concert evening, as there was in the Galeri, locals could be offered the chance to buy tickets which could provide a bit of a subsidy for the cost of the festival as well as provide the chance to have a sgwrs with them. Also, of course, there’d be plenty of opportunities for chats with locals in Y Fic in Llithfaen.
Somewhere else? I don’t know Bangor very well, but could Pontio/Bangor University be a possible alternative?

I agree with @Hishiv and I’d be happy to pay up to £100

A concert as for the parti in Galeri, guided walks (e.g. nature, history etc), some talks (e.g. Twm Elias on smugglers and pirates, Owain Williams on Trywerin, Angharad Tomos on the Welsh language struggle, something on the Welsh colony in Patagonia?). Films: Mared Llewelyn Williams ran a great course in the Nant on Welsh films a couple of years ago - may be she could be persuaded to give an introduction to a film or two and lead a discussion afterwards?

As well as those taking part in the parti penblwydd, how about Gwenan Gibbard, Ifor ap Glyn, Heini Gruffudd, Gareth King(!), Aled Lewis Evans, Iwan Huws & Georgia Ruth Williams, Aled Hughes, Tudur Owen? I like, too, @margaretnock and @carin-harris suggestions of Aneurin Karadog, Beti George, Carys Matthews and Elis James, but I very much agree with @HuwJones that we should steer clear of any appearance of association with party political figures - given that SSiW has previously been accused of being a ‘cult’ by some :roll_eyes:, it’s not a great step from there to be accused of being a front for some political party.

2 Likes

I LOVE these replies and suggestions, keep them coming!

Agreed that Caernarfon is much more convenient with regards to transport links.

If we did go with the Nant, transport actually isn’t that much of a problem. Firstly, buses run from Caernarfon to and from Pwllheli and Nefyn, often. Also, the Nant are used to having shuttle buses to and from - it happens often with weddings and festivals. There’s a bus company in Trevor and one in Nefyn (who I have connections with) whom we could hire for reasonable prices for short trips if needed. I’m also sure, as @johnwilliams_6 said, there would be plenty of people from this community who would be happy to offer lifts.

Rest assured, wherever we were, Nant or Caernarfon, we would make sure that everyone had all the transport info needed and no one was left stranded.

My initial idea for the mini festival was that we would fill the weekend with activities. But would people prefer not to have so many activities and have more chances to just wander round and do their own ‘Welsh in the wild’ thing?

4 Likes

… and maybe the Garddio a Mwy team, Iwan, Sioned & Meinir (eto!)

1 Like

Maybe a selection of loosely organised activities that create opportunities to go out (alone or in groups) and use Welsh ‘in the wild,’ alongside a few more specifically organised events? That would help get people over the initial terrifying hump of going out for the first time on one’s own to try speaking Welsh.

1 Like

I’ve just got back from a rather busy week so I’ve just seen this …

Yes

What if there’s an “ordinary” party in/towards the south one year and a bigger, weekend type do in the north the next? So a Caerfyrddin/Caernarfon every other year type deal.

With enough notice I’d be unlucky to miss it.

• May?
  • June?
  • July?
  • August?
  • Other?

The least “holiday season” times are better so there’s less clash work co-workers, cheaper and more easily bookable accommodation, and less chance of baby-sitter problems.:grinning:

• The Galeri in Caernarfon?
  • Nant Gwrtheyrn
  • Somewhere else?

The Galeri every time for us, the town offers so much more just in case there’s a time when you need something different.

• £65
  • £85
  • £100
  • Something else?

I’d go for something else.

A craft/music/cookery/art workshop maybe?

The weekend’s entertainment was really top notch but not massively varied. Stealing from other’s suggestions … a rockier band, a comedian, more time for the Bethan Gwanases and Nia Parrys to talk maybe.

4 Likes

Hey, am I wrong or nobody outside the UK has answered yet?
Anyway:

Yes. To tell the truth I’m not really a big festival/big event/big party kinda person, cause I find them kinda overwhelming. :dizzy_face:
But from time to time, it’s ok. With an additional preference for informal rather than gala, if I may add!

In 1 or 2 years time - yes
Every 2 years - not sure

3) would you be able to attend a three day/two night(ish) event with plenty of notice?
Yes

No July, no August. Other months, ok apart from big holidays periods.
For flight prices, winter would be the best, but it doesn’t seem very popular in previous answers, I see! :smiley:
More in general, I think it very much depends on which activities are being planned. If it’s mostly indoors and the venue is well heated…does it really matter if it’s sunny and warm, or freezing cold outside?

5) The Galeri in Caernarfon? Nant Gwrtheyrn in Pen Llyn? Somewhere else?
From what I see in the pics, I’d like Nant Gwrtheyrn a bit more. I live in a pretty big town, and I usually prefer quiet places in the middle of nowhere for my weekends off!
But it also depends on logistics (as @margaretnock was mentioning transports), if it’s suitable for the events/activities that will be planned, the season etc.
However, any place will be good for me, since I’ve never been anywhere in North Wales (apart from Porthladd Caergybi, which I obviously also reached somehow, but can’t remember anything specific on the route except the town with the longest name).

6)what is the maximum ticket price you would be willing to pay for the whole weekend, without accommodation?
Considering I have to add travel costs…well, £65 would be best. But since it’s a special event, and will be planned very much in advance, I can consider also higher prices 'cause it very much depends on the events, activities and food: some have higher costs, but might be well worth the extra price, once in a while after all.

• Live music (preferably in a variety of genres :sunglasses: )
  • Food and drinks (Hey I’m Italian - and from the simplest to the poshest, I like to try and taste them all)
  • Language practice-related activities
  • Workshops and talks - since I know very little about it anything that has to do with Wales, local traditions and history, activities and people experiences - anything can be interesting for me.

I really don’t know, at the moment, but if find something really inspiring or fun, I’ll let you know. :slight_smile:

Edit:
just noticed an extra question from Catrin, in a different post (would people prefer not to have so many activities and have more chances to just wander round and do their own ‘Welsh in the wild’ thing?)
Coming from a different country, I prefer more activities - apart from competitive games or sports, but luckily they don’t seem in the radar :sweat_smile:). ‘Welsh in the wild’ doesn’t seem to need a big organization effort behind it and can be done anywhere, any time - or at least that’s my experience so far!

3 Likes

For flight prices, winter would be the best, but it doesn’t seem very popular in previous answers

Very good point, though.

1 Like