Free(ish) Bootcamp questions

Why not, I’ve never been up and not enjoyed it.

2 Likes

@Novem, @peterallen, @gruntius, @KateM, @Lea, @Bob weather permitting, it’s a date!

3 Likes

Count me in!

2 Likes

Sounds lovely - I’m up for it!

2 Likes

Yr Wyddfa is practically my local hill. I am privileged to now live only 4 miles from Llanberis :slight_smile: We do have some smaller (but still quite big) hills around, but the “Big One” is most definitely local to me. So unless something really conflicting turns up, I am ready and able to enjoy an ascent of Yr Wyddfa almost any day you can name :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ok, I’ve just had a ridiculously crazy but downright bloody awesome idea … who would like to climb Yr Wyddfa in time to see the sunrise from the top? That would obviously mean going up in the dark and would mean more care taken and an early (read very early) start but the reward could be spectacular and we’d be back in time for breakfast. I usually take the Miner’s track up and the Llanberis path down but it may be better going up and down the same route due to transport issues (bus times).

Obviously just a thought. What do others think?

Tagging others who have stated an interest in going up … @margaretnock @Novem @peterallen @KateM @Lea @Bob

3 Likes

Does the train start that early!!

Seriously, could be up for that but don’t want to commit myself yet. Also depends on the forecast and me remembering to bring a torch.

2 Likes

Yeah, the weather would have to be good to more or less guarantee a clear sunrise and torches would be essential. Any other time of the day and I would go up in (almost) any weather to be honest.

I’m in!

1 Like

A man of few words … no more needed though. :+1:

1 Like

I’d have to be a maybe too - how long does the climb take? I think sunrise will be before 5am at that time of year.

Yeah, five to five. A very early start. I’m up for going on any day at any time though … or if the weather is rubbish I’m up for lazy days in the caffis.:grinning:

Much depends on fitness of those doing it and which way you go.
I’d say up and down the Llanberis path is probably the best route to do in the dark.

Llanberis Path

Also known as the Tourist path, the Llanberis path, is the longest route.

It will add another two miles to your walk up and down the mountain. Depending on your ability and fitness and the weather conditions on the day.

• Length - 9.0 miles / 14.6 km
  • Ascent - 3300 feet / 1000 metres
  • Duration - Approx 5 - 6 hours
  • Grade - Moderate

How the other paths compare:

Miners Track

Good flat sections to start with and great views throughout of the horseshoe* (*after sunrise!).

• Length - 7.5 miles / 12.2 km
  • Ascent - 2510 feet / 761 metres
  • Duration - Approx 4 - 5 hours
  • Grade - Moderate+

Pyg Track

Personally, I’d not do this one in the dark - too easy to end up on Crib Goch (and that is NOT somewhere you want to be in the dark!)

• Length - 7.5 miles / 12.2 km
  • Ascent - 2510 feet / 761 metres
  • Grade - Moderate

Snowdon Ranger

On the other side of the Mount Snowdon.

• Length - 13.5km
  • Ascent - 1000m
  • Duration - Approx 5 hours
  • Grade - Moderate+

The South Ridge

A pleasant route with flat sections as well as some scrambling with some exposure.

• Length - 13 km
  • Ascent -  1032 metres
  • Duration - Approx 5 hours
  • Grade - Moderate+

The Watkins Path

Moderate/hard route with some scrambling at the top.

• Length - 8.0 miles / 13 km
  • Ascent -  3400 feet / 1030 metres
  • Grade - Moderate/hard
2 Likes

Oh, not exactly a short stroll, particularly as a two way journey.

I wonder if it would help arriving for sunset as I may find that I have sleep walked through the hard bits and wake up on the summit.

Realistically I would worry that this might put my sleep pattern out of kilter for a few days afterwards and I might then not enjoy the week as much. Need to think about this. However, I want to fill my time as best I come whilst I am, unusually, in North Wales.

Are those distances for up and down?

:scream: :cold_face: :fearful: Definitely not! I did the Crib Goch ridge when I was a student. It was around February, the days were short and we had to go much faster than I was happy with so we could get off the ridge before it was fully dark.

yes, all of those distances are up and down.

I’m up for it on the understanding that I do stamina and not speed. I ascend better than I descend. I will be bringing a stick. I want to walk, not climb.

1 Like

I’ve found that up the Miner’s and down the Llanberis is a good route but that works best if you park by the base of one and get a bus from Llanberis to Pen-y-Pass. So either … after the buses start get the bus up to Pen-y-Pass, do the walk, go home, or … do the walk then get the bus up to Pen-y-Pass before heading home.

I don’t think the early start and climbing in the dark is as popular as I thought so what about deciding on the best day when we all get there after seeing the forecast? The time of day is best left to a majority vote I think. I would prefer a morning trip maybe finishing before 1 with a huge bag of chips and a cold drink. :grinning:

1 Like

Walking not climbing puts up and down the Llanberis as the best option. The Miner’s isn’t too bad but there are small sections of needing a hand on the ground now and then.