Format of skype practice

I agree it will be more fun! :smile:

1 Like

Iā€™m perfectly happy with all you have written.
Perhaps those looking for a skype partner may post here and hopefully find success (i will do what i can but this may get a little busy).
I think itā€™s important for those new to the experience know that it is fine to stop after a short time if they feel they have had enough (better a short good experience than getting worn out).

Oh, and i notice people like @mikeellwood are doing rather well at the written welsh, so if any wish to just add to or augment any written material that is fine as well.(iā€™m very happy to be corrected).

Cheers J.P.

2 Likes

Added it:) I will invite some people who might find it interesting here personally. Anyway, John, I was thinking about adding photography to the lists of vocabulary to prepare, would you be interested in collaborating? This is one of the topics that I discuss most in real life, but it requires the use of some rather specific vocabulary, so, annoyingly, I canā€™t talk about it in Cymraeg.

1 Like

I would like very much to do this and learn some technical terminology of photography but please can this wait for a little while, my list of things to do is getting a bit long. Iā€™m trying to get some images/vocabulary together about the weather which seems a popular subject.

For those who wish to practice talking about colours, why not talk about the rainbow.

Enfys - Rainbow.

Cheers J.P.

1 Like

Of course:) Iā€™ve started compiling the list in the meanwhile.

Thanks John. Well, until recently I didnā€™t feel much urge to write in it, but for some reason, now I do (perhaps because of reading it a bit more), and then Stellaā€™s post earlier today reminded me about that thread. But I have always thought the forum should have a section or sections where people can write just in Welsh if they want to (not aimed at very-beginners though).

2 Likes

Haul a cymylau heddiw heb law -
Sun and clouds today without rain.

Nid ywā€™r rhagolygon dros nos yn dda, gyda storm agosĆ”u oā€™r gorllewin -
The forecast over night is not good, with a storm approaching from the west.

Mae 'na llawer o geirau amdanaā€™r tywydd, bydd iā€™n yscrifennu ychydig yn fuan.

Cheers J.P.

2 Likes

Hwyaden wyllt gwrywaith - Male mallard (Hwyaden wyllt - literally wild duck) (click for full size).

Pen - head.
Troed - foot, traed - feet.
Llygad - eye, Llygaid - eyes.
Coes - leg, Coesau - legs. ( i believe ā€˜Coesā€™ is also used for stem ).
Adain wing - Adenydd - wings.
Pig - Beak. (sounds like peeg, can mutate to big and phig).
Unwaith eto llawer o lliwau i siarad amdan - Once again plenty of colours to talk about.

4 Likes

Dyma, Mae un coeden sydd yn colldail cyn y gaeaf a wedyn, tyfu dail newydd yn y gwanwyn. (Derwen).
Here is, one tree which looses leaves before winter and then, grows new leaves in the spring (Oak).

Colldail (literally ā€˜loose leavesā€™ = Deciduous).
Boncyff - Trunk.
Gangen - Branch, Cangennau - Branches, Canghennog - Branching.
Brigyn - Twig, Brigau - Twigs.
Dail - leaves.

Cheers J.P.

6 Likes

What are indigo and violet?

Indigo a fioled.

Cheers J.P.

Awesomeā€“this whole forum is amazing, I am spoilt for choice because everywhere I look is yet another topic I would love to dip into, but like a kid in a candy shop, I probably need a parentā€™s guiding hand :flushed:

Well, if not a parent exactly, a friend and mentor,ā€¦ and lucky me, because when I asked if anyone with great patience and understanding would be willing to help this hearing-impaired learner with conversation practice, (if necessary going very slowly to catch the sounds)ā€“bingo, I hit the jackpot!

My partner/mentor/friend has overcome the same challenge, yet is fluent, fascinated by Welsh and so the perfect match. She is wonderfully encouraging, checks which lessons I have covered to tailor our chat time accordingly, and follows up on a any problem I am having. What a giftā€“full credit to her for her great kindness, good humour and ability to communicate in Welsh clearly for this ā€˜special need learnerā€™ to enjoy!

The secret? It is two-way, as all good conversation is. I had to jump in and identify myself as someone who has trouble hearing or interpreting certain sounds (and in general I donā€™t like doing that) but having taken the risk and plunged in the deep end, have discovered someone who is helping me overcome any fears or embarrassment, while several of you folk on this thread have kept me afloat or cheered me on.

So my advice for those seeking Skype conversation partners is jump in and JUST DO IT! Yes, it helps to know what level each is at, what subjects are of interest, or as I can see happening here, you pick certain topics. Brilliant! I have already studied your annotated picturesā€“how clever.

As a total novice to both SSiW and Skype, I am having so much fun, gaining confidence, meeting you folk and making friendsā€“dw iā€™n hapus iawn.

Hywl,
Marilyn

5 Likes

Iā€™ve gathered a far from comprehensive list of music related words, and Iā€™m about to start on the art list shortly. Let me know when youā€™re ready to compare notes. :smile:

2 Likes

Da iawn pawb, you are racing ahead of me, i thought i would get a list together (and maybe some photoā€™s) relating to the weather. So far i have not made a start but really hope by the new year time will be more on my side. Dal ati.

Cheers J.P.

2 Likes

I think we should start some list that would have all the words that we come across in our conversations most often. Like ā€œanoddā€. And maybe the functional language, too, like: ā€œIā€™m afraidā€ ā€œI donā€™t know exactly, butā€, ā€œI see your point, butā€.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s a fantastic idea.

Yes. I often find myself in situation Iā€™d use something like this. When I chat with @brigitte and when i talked to @ramblingjohn we tend to write into Skype message window while talking and it was super useful and when the chat is over you can always go back and read things but unfortunately such Skype messages donā€™t stay on sight for too long even if you checked in settings that history should be all preserved so maybe the best thing would be to write down things both participants have written in the message window and make a list from this.

2 Likes

Schmae

I had a Skype chat with @stella yesterday. It was exciting and fun to have my first proper conversation in welsh. I would also like to say that its a much less daunting experience to speak with a fellow learner at first. Last week when I met up with a group of first language Welsh speakers it was quite difficult to join the conversation unless speaking one to one.

I think the idea of starting a list of words we come across in conversation would be very useful. This would allow us to realise the vocabulary gaps we have when starting to speak for the first time. I found it the same when learning Spanish. You may have learnt a lot, but there are always useful little words you often use in speech, but donā€™t think to learn

We talked without a specific topic, which I thought was good, at least for the first session, just getting to know the person a bit. I think conversation topics is a good idea though. It would give the conversation a bit of aim, and the chance to learn and practice different vocabulary.

Along the same lines, though Iā€™m not sure if it has already been mentioned, I think role play scenarios might be useful as well. The aim is to ā€˜use your Welsh in the wildā€™ so maybe some specific practice of that might be useful, fun and interesting

Hwyl

3 Likes

Iā€™d be interested in this. My reading has always been stronger than my speaking, and Iā€™d love to boost my writing a bit. (By quirk of fate, Iā€™ve just set up a bilingual discussion e-forum for Welsh academics. Thanks to the help of some lovely Welsh-speakers, all my English is translated for me, but naturally, now the forum contributors just assume Iā€™m a fluent Welsh writer. So Iā€™ve either got to improve my writing skills, or come clean about the misunderstanding. Iā€™d prefer to do the former than the latter!)

2 Likes

@steve_2 mynd yna: Ymarfer Cymraeg

In the topic is billingual kind of conversation going on and youā€™re welcome to join of course.

Pob lwc!

1 Like