First Spanish Lesson Ever

I’ve come back to the SSi forums again for the first time in rather a long while. I’ve done the full 1st Level challenges in Welsh in the past and found the courses to be an incredibly quick (though challenging) way of developing language skills. Indeed, it’s the best I’ve done - and trust me, I’ve tried all manner of courses in all manner of languages without much success.

As I have an interest in pursuing Spanish over the coming months, and knowing that SSi had a Spanish course, I’ve returned to this site as a first port of call. I’ve worked through the first lesson over the last couple of days - just doing a bit here and there.

However, I did the last 15 minutes of the 1st lesson for the first time today and got about one thing wrong when the brain didn’t play catch up quickly enough, probably because of a tricky Spider Solitaire situation that I was addressing at the same time. I didn’t pause the recording at all.

What am I trying to say in all these ramblings? Basically, that whatever happened in my language skill development whilst doing Welsh transferred across to the Spanish. Even though I’d never heard the stuff before, my brain seemed capable of handling the new words and processing the long sentences at first port of call. Not sure if anyone else has experienced this, but it is rather encouraging. It feels like I ought to rerun the lesson again to embed the information, but it went too well to justify it!

Greetings to everyone on the forum and would be interested in hearing your experiences of the crossover.

6 Likes

That’s a really interesting observation and very encouraging. I don’t know if there’s any scientific evidence that going through this experience in one language will make it easier for subsequent languages, but I’m sure there are a lot of budding polyglots out there really hoping it’s true! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m sure it will change, but I’ve just gone through the second lesson in one hit. Think I used the pause button very briefly on one answer. Given that I have absolutely no Spanish and remembering how long it took me to get through the first couple of Welsh challenges, I am amazed at progress.

2 Likes

Sounds as though you’ve had some genuine neurological adaptation to the method… :slight_smile: