First small Welsh conversation

Had my first very brief Welsh conversation today, played golf in North Wales, when we finished I asked the barman is it prynhawn da, he looked at me a bit strange at first and then replied " ah yes good afternoon", I said dw i’n dysgu sharad Cymraeg, he said I haven’t spoken Welsh for years, I said I’m just learning, dw in mwynhau sharad Cymraeg achos mae’n ddiddoral, he asked do I live in Wales I said no just over the border near Chester, he said if I can learn the Welsh alphabet I should be able to learn welsh because it a phonetic alphabet, he did say something in welsh along the lines of dw i’n dysgu sharad Cymraeg but it was slightly different, I said my most used sentence is dw I ddim yn siwr, lol, I came away feeling a bit accomplished

16 Likes

Just had my daughter and two grandsons staying, all Welsh speakers. They spent a lot, and I mean a lot, of time correcting my accent!
She said I wasn’t past the rabbit in the headlights stage! But also recommended I learn the alphabet, would help me if I come across Welsh words…

4 Likes

Well they corrected your pronounciation but understood what you were saying, Right?! That sounds quite cool!

1 Like

As Hannah said, it’s great they understood you. I expect they just wanted you to improve, hence the many corrections. Hopefully it didn’t put you off too much. It sounds like it was coming from a good place even if it may have felt a bit much at times.

2 Likes

It was! And it’s so nice that darling grandsons want to help. One said, “What do you need help with?” I replied, “Everything!”

2 Likes

No, it didn’t put me off. It was good to get help, even if darlings looked baffled at times at my struggles!
Haven’t seen them since January, so hard.

4 Likes

Dwi’n moyn dysgu Cymraeg achos Dwi’n moyn siarad gyda fy wirion sy’n siarad Cymraeg