Finnau, tithau etc

I’m a bit confused about the use of the minnau or finnau, tithau, yntau type construct so I’m hoping there’s some light shedding possible out there.

I would use finnau in an ‘and me’ sort of way but I think I’ve heard it followed by a verb. Can’t think of an easy examples other than say a bit out of an Anweledig song ‘A finnau mynnu gwybod …’

Anyone got any ideas on how this construct is usually used?

Thanks,
Shak

1 Like

extended pronouns
These are used for emphasis, e.g.: “Sut wyt ti?” “Dwi’n iawn diolch, a tithau?”
minnau: me as well, me too
tithau: you too’ you as well
innau, finnau, minnau (less common)
tithau (s), chdithau (n)
yntau, fintau (n), fothau
hithau
ninnau
chithau
nhwthau

S’mae Andy,

This from BBC Catchphrase:

A: “Blwyddyn Newydd Dda!” - Happy New Year!
B: " A’r un fath i tithau" - And the same to you as well

tithau pronounced titha in north Wales and tithe in south Wales is the second person singular of the pronoun form which is used to convey the meaning – and you as well or you also. The full forms are:

minnau or finnau
tithau
yntau
hithau
ninnau
chithau
hwythau

Generally these forms are preceded by a meaning and, for example a finnau - and me, a chithau - and you, a hwythau - and them

Hwyl,

Stu

Thanks both, that lines up with the ‘me too’ construct. I think I may have answered my own question with a bit of web-diving. In Gareth King’s Colloquial Welsh, there’s an example - 'a finnau 'n gweithio trwy ‘r nos’ and me (too) working through the night. It looks like there’s a usage that sticks a verb on the end of the extended pronouns. So for the Anweledig example ‘and me too demanding to know’ ?

I think it is not just a meaning of ‘too/also’ that can be conveyed, but also things like ‘on the other hand’, ‘meanwhile’ or ‘even’. Conjunctive pronouns they are called in “The Syntax Of Welsh”: indicating a connection or distinction with another pronoun.

Yes, I would say it’s more of an emphasis thing…

So in the kind of sentence: He was out drinking, when he’d only just come out of hospital… O’dd e mas yn yfed, a f’yntau newydd ddod mas o’r sbyty… (f’yntau or fe yntau is probably very southern!)
Or “He was so happy while (another) he was sad” - O’dd e mor hapus a f’yntau’n drist.

Minau / tithau etc are one of the things that I really miss whilst speaking English!

1 Like