Fear of speaking Welsh

I know what you mean about taking the plunge. My daughter has just started Welsh classes at university to speak to her new Welsh speaking friends. I am visiting this weekend and having read the comments above I think I will pluck up courage to try. Will let you know how I get on .

3 Likes

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!! :smiley: :thumbsup:

1 Like

Just a quick update on how my ā€˜ā€˜no Englishā€™ā€™ evening went. In short, not very well. I could think of what I wanted to say in my head but couldnā€™t find the courage to speak it. It was like there was a physical block.

Iā€™m so annoyed with myself that I couldnā€™t do it And what is annoying me more is that I did lesson 8 this morning and barely had to think to repeat the sentences.

Iā€™ve found that putting into practice what you learn in the lessons is much, much harder than how you imagine it will happen in your head. Donā€™t be too discouragedā€¦I think I only started to be able to speak with any semblance of fluency (which is still nowhere near ACTUAL fluency, Iā€™ll point out) was after the sixth or so practice session I had.

Donā€™t let your disappointment stop you from trying again - the more you try, the easier it will get, although you may not notice until you look back at your progress. Even just saying a few words in Cymraeg is an achievement. Celebrate that, and donā€™t let your high expectations get in the way of seeing the progress youā€™re making. :smile:

4 Likes

Donā€™t worry. Ask @margaretnock how quiet I was when we first spoke via Skype. She tired and talked so Iā€™d say something but I ā€¦ there was hardly some sound comming out of me. Donā€™t give hope now. Try it again. Say it wrong if neccessary, just say it, whatever youā€™ve learnt and it seams right to you. Youā€™d be corrected and youā€™ll learn. I donā€™t doubt your parthner has the patience to constantly correct you and teach you this way.

Oh, ja, who tells you all that!? I was the same despite I claimed that I am not afraid to speak. No, I was not afraid to speak, thatā€™s true, but I was afraid to be embarresed saying something ā€œstupidā€ or wrong. I know this attitude was in vain. I somehow (at least I hope so) overcome this all, now thereā€™s your turn to do the same. If not differently, Iā€™m with you at least in my thoughts. Next week you do the same, just blurt out what you think itā€™s right. Youā€™ll see it will go - slowly but steadily - and one day youā€™ll laugh upon your attitude and ā€œembarresmentā€ of speaking. :slight_smile:

DAL ATI! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Iā€™ve talked through it with her and her explanation makes sense. She described it like stage fright. Which is odd because Iā€™ve been on stage and never had stage fright, even in front of hundreds of people.

Maybe iā€™m being too hard on myself.

3 Likes

Youā€™re definitely being too hard on yourself. As @tatjana said, just say the first thing that comes into your head, correct or not. Actually getting something out is far more important than forming a perfectly correct, sophisticated sentence.

3 Likes

Yes @Dan_Crosby, and donā€™t forget the SiW mantra: paid a phoeni or paid a becso.

And while you might not get away with it on a bootcamp, in real life you can throw in the odd English word if it helps to keep things going. People do this all the time (listen to Radio Cymru). Or adopt the bootcamp idea of mimeā€¦this should help lighten the situation as well, as it then becomes a sort of game.

5 Likes

Ooooooooooooooooooooo yes. :slight_smile:

One more of my kind from before. And your parthenr described it right. ā€œstage frightā€ it is called (I just read this some days ago) no matter how you donā€™t have this fright otherwise. :slight_smile:

You will prevail, youā€™ll see. I believe in you completely. When this happens, we shall speak through the Skype! (If youā€™d want to of course) Remember this!

5 Likes

Maybe it might help if you identify what exactly youā€™re afraid of and then explaining to yourself that thereā€™s nothing to worry about? Are you afraid you might have a very strong accent? Well, everyone has an accent and there are as many different ways to speak as there are speakers in the world. Native speakers sometimes struggle to understand each other.
Or maybe youā€™re afraid that youā€™ll make grammar or pronunciation mistakes? But then again, itā€™s so very common, I think there are hardly any native speakers that donā€™t make tiny mistakes of usage or grammar once in a while. Everyoneā€™s imperfect. Or maybe youā€™re afraid that you wonā€™t live up to your own standards? That maybe you thought that you were doing fine and then you discover that youā€™re not as good as you expected to be? That happened to me when I just started speaking Welsh with my speaking partner @Karla. Iā€™m quite fluent in English and Italian, and I admit Iā€™ve forgotten a bit what it feels like when youā€™re at the very beginnings of learning a language. I wanted to speak of art and opera music, and I was quite annoyed that I sounded like a troglodyte!
Anyway, I think itā€™s a very good thing to have no-English evenings, but donā€™t push yourself too hard or you will become annoyed at yourself. Thereā€™s no reason to be angry at yourself being afraid, fear is a good thing, it tries to warn us of danger, protect us if weā€™re venturing into an unknown territory. Sometimes it can be slightly over-protective and you could try to calm it down by showing that nothing bad happens if you make a mistake. Just say something that is deliberately wrong: forget a mutation or something like that. Then perhaps your fear will learn thereā€™s nothing dangerous about mistakes and will just get more and more used to it.

5 Likes

I Wish I could actually Identify what it is Iā€™m afraid of when trying to speak Welsh. I dont have this fear when I say things in Welsh to my parents. They dont speak Welsh but I still show off that I can speak it. So why I have the problem when speaking to my Partner I donā€™t know.

Maybe you just want to impress her and you donā€™t want to appear imperfect?:slight_smile: This is so very understandable. Look, my boyfriend is English and heā€™s got a very beautiful, correct pronunciation, much like they speak on BBC. Heā€™s the kindest person in the world, but I would still cry secretly after I mispronounce a word, just because I would like to impress him with my wonderful English. Thereā€™s nothing to be done about that, Iā€™m afraid. When someone means a lot to us, our self-esteem depends on what this person thinks of us, and so the stakes are higher.

6 Likes

I would very much like to speak to anyone in Welsh, although I dont know if i know enough to hold a full conversation in welsh.

1 Like

Deal then. This is a challenge ā€¦ :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes, you are, definitely. Go back and have a quick squint at what I suggested - expecting to do a full evening as your starting point is extremely ambitious - why not aim at the kind of 5 minute starter I suggested?

1 Like

Dan, just a few thoughts, and sorry if they have already been mentionedā€¦

When I first started trying to speak I did this odd ā€˜planningā€™ phase. I used to imagine how it would go and when it didnā€™t I used to bash myself up about it! I wonder if you are over thinking/planning it?

I also got ā€˜stage frightā€™ when I was asked a question. It kind of went like thisā€¦

Q. Do you want a cup of tea?
A: Me thinkingā€¦ā€œCrap which yes/no do I useā€¦ freezeā€¦ panicā€¦ā€ arrrggghhh, and failure to answerā€¦

So, I developed a different techinque of trying not to directly answer ā€˜yesā€™ or ā€˜noā€™ (which I still often use) and it avoids a defininte affirmative or negative answer.

E.g

Q. ā€œDo you want a cup of tea?ā€

A. ā€œThanks, that would be good/niceā€

or

Q ā€œDid you like that picture?ā€

A. I am not sure, I think so!

We also tend to want to be able the same things in our new language that we do with our native tongue. It is not a realistic expectation and we lose confidence as a result. Try and accept that your conversation is going to be a bit more ā€˜Childlikeā€™ to start with. You cannot possibly expect to discuss the finer points of the news or a TV programme! Once you can accept this it is quite liberating; and there is nothing wrong in adding in the odd English word if you donā€™t know something. You can always look it up and use it next time!

Hope this helps!

:smile:

4 Likes

I have this too! I think with me itā€™s almost as if I donā€™t feel like ā€˜the real meā€™ when Iā€™m speaking Welsh because my expressiveness is more limited. I canā€™t joke (not that Iā€™m hilarious) or do idle chit chat the way I can in English. So itā€™s strange to think that, considering practically every Welsh speaker speaks English just as good as me, I could be having a conversation where I could be more myself. I know of course most speakers are understanding of this, but the other day I was in a class and talked to people just purely through Welsh who Iā€™d just met and was a bit worried that I wasnā€™t really being very friendly and a bit abrupt, considering they were nice and chatty! Iā€™m sure they were understanding but I just didnā€™t feel like I was my proper self.

5 Likes

I am sure that what they really thought was that you were a thoroughly decent chap who was making a very good job of learning Welsh :grinning:

4 Likes

Helo 'na.

Mererid dw i.

This is an interesting topic. Some really important points mentioned above regarding personality change and role-reversal issues in additional-language acquisition. I could talk all night about those issues, but thatā€™s not going to help you in the short term. Therefore, I offer you some practical advice.

When you think that the seemingly ā€˜simpleā€™ act of having a conversation with someone requires ALL these skills at the SAME time, thereā€™s no wonder we develop a fear of speaking. Consider the following skills involved in having a conversation:

Deciding youā€™re going to say something, constructing a coherent sentence in your mind, saying this sentence out loud in order to be understood by another person, knowing how to pronounce Welsh, voice intonation, reading the other personā€™s body language, listening to the other personā€™s response, making out the individual words in the other personā€™s response, knowing what those words mean, processing those words, thinking of an appropriate response, thinking about how to word that appropriate response in Welsh and so on and so on. All this while your heart is beating fast and your perceived vulnerability levels expanding.

One strategy that I use is to get over my fear of speaking to a native speaker is to set myself ā€˜secret tasksā€™.

To do that, I have to separate these conversation skills and focus on developing one skill at a time, like so:

1)I practise how to ask someone for the time. I then ask a friendly-looking person on the street for the time, even though I know what the time is. By getting rid of that element of fear about not being able to understand the person when they something back to you, youā€™re concentrating solely on one language skill at a time: speaking. More specifically, speaking to a native speaker and seeing if you get understood. If the person checks his/her watch, then mission accomplished. If not, try again or go back and perfect your pronunciation until another day. It doesnā€™t matter whether or not you understand what they say back to you as that wasnā€™t your goal in the first place (although checking the time before asking the person for the time at least means you can anticipate the response). Then either thank them and move on, or if theyā€™ve carried on with the conversation past your current comprehension level, say in English or Welsh (depending on your level) , ā€˜oh, sorry, thatā€™ ā€˜s all the Welsh I know at the moment, Iā€™m learning. Maybe next time Iā€™ll know moreā€™, (or something along those light-hearted lines).

1. Do the same by asking for directions to somewhere you already know how to reach.

3)Think of similar scenarios where you can ask questions without really needing an answer.

In Italy this year, I struggled to remember the Italian word for ā€˜binā€™. So each shop or cafĆ© I went into, I would force myself to ask someone who worked there ā€˜do you have a bin?ā€™ while waving some eitem of rubbish in my hand Iā€™m front of them, like a tissue, sweet wrapper, empty packet etc

After a bit, I started remembering the word for ā€˜binā€™ without having to check my pocket dictionary all the time, and Iā€™d practised my ā€˜speaking to real Italiansā€™ skill too.

This is a good confidence builder and the more you do it, the easier it will become to speak to the Welsh people you know, like teachers, family members etc.

Has anyone tried anything like this before?
Itā€™s always my go-to method when I need to give myself a gentle push.

7 Likes

Very good points, I think itā€™s a great help when youā€™re in the country where the language is spoken. I like the secret task strategy and will certainly use it myself when I visit Wales. Though we donā€™t really know whether Dan lives in Wales and/or has constant contact with native speakers, apart from his partner (if we do know it and Iā€™ve missed something, I apologize).
But breaking down one big skill into many small sub-skills is really very useful, because you donā€™t have to deal with something as enormous as ā€œspeaking Welshā€ but you can tackle smaller things one by one. If your partner is very willing to help, you could do something like this to train your listening skills: you both listen to a piece of news of Radio Cymru and then she retells it to you using very simple words, while you listen and try to understand the gist. When youā€™re more comfortable with her speaking Welsh to you, you can start asking some questions related to the topic and express your opinion.
Itā€™ll help if you learn a lot of the ā€œfunctional languageā€ (how to ask someone to repeat, how to ask to speak slower, how to show that you understand - youā€™ll find it in the bonus part of Lesson 6 Course 1, - then, learn how to say that something is lovely/awful/interesting, how to express admiration or sympathy, how to agree and disagree etc. You get my idea). Then put them into use when talking to your partner or maybe people here who are willing to help via Skype. You can make up situations together when your partner gives you some stimulus ā€œItā€™s my birthday todayā€ and you have to react quickly - ā€œOh, congratulations!ā€
Itā€™s very useful to watch TV in Welsh (I like ā€œBore daā€ on S4C, because itā€™s subtitled), especially talk-shows. You can first watch it with no subtitles, then turn the subs on and watch again to check the understanding, and repeat what the speakers say. Then, if you feel brave enough, you can make up a small monologue on the same topic. Again, you can watch together and give your opinion to your partner - first it will be something short like ā€œThatā€™s great, I think itā€™s a good ideaā€ and then maybe youā€™ll start saying longer sentences.
One thing I really want to stress is that itā€™s difficult for anyone (even for a very outgoing chatty person like me, for instance) to speak without a topic or without necessity. We all need motivation to speak (we all become very eloquent when we really want to find something out, for example, the train is leaving in 5 minutes and we still donā€™t know the number of the platform) and we need some scaffolding to build our speech on. So it might be easier at first to react to your partnerā€™s questions (because some vocabulary will be provided in the question itself) rather than try to say something completely unaided.

3 Likes