Exciting stages of language learning

Aran, leave Anne alone. She did a fantastic job of using up most of the available time. Every minute of Anne’s “little story” was a minute less for the rest of us.

Thank you Anne, thank you very much. :wink:

I don’t suppose buying a pint successfully in Welsh really counts does it? It’s not exactly hard in any language.

Well, on one of our excursions on the April Bootcamp, I think I must have found the only person in Wales who didn’t know what the Ty Bach is … poor woman looked terrified! :slight_smile: (On second thoughts, perhaps a reasonable reaction to a mad-looking scruffy Saesneg…:slight_smile: ).

There were many conversations that basically went ok, but in which I needed help with the odd English word or phrase being thrown in to keep the flow going, but perhaps the most satisfying ones were simple transactions in shops & cafés where not a single word of English was uttered, but everything passed off ok. Sometimes, but not always in these situations, I would say I was a learner, and this usually made them look pleased, which I thought was nice.

I’d have no hesitation in at least attempting to use Welsh in Wales from now on, provided of course that I keep up my SSiW, and listening and watching onlne, which I certainly intend to do.

On the subject of ‘Ty Bach’, during my very early days of learning Welsh, after seeing a lovely hand carved wooden sign in a craft shop in Criccieth, I was very proud to confidently announce to my wife that Ty Bach meant little house… We thought we would buy it to hang on the door of our Caravan… the lady in the shop came over and quietly said, “I wouldn’t do that if I were you, not unless…” I left very embarrassed and suitably humbled…

Oh, and by the way Mike, I think ordering a pint of beer in Welsh is a huge achievement! :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

also the fact that you will now have,

“no hesitation of at least attempting to use Welsh”