Every day sentences

How is this for “I met a woman last night who told me that she knew your brother and she asked me to tell him to call her”

WNESTI GWRDDA MENWY NEITHWR DDWEDDOD BOD HI’N WEDI NABOD FY MRAWD DI AC HI’N GOFYN FI DWEUD FE YN GALW HI"

That’s a rather complicated one, so well done for attempting it. Have a look at how I’d write it below and try and work out where and why some of your bits are not quite right -

Wnes i gwrdd â menyw neithiwr a ddwedodd wrtha i bod hi’n nabod dy frawd, a gofynnodd hi i mi ddweud wrtho fe galw hi.

A tip - with long compound sentences like this, remember you can always split them up into smaller ones if you need to.
I met a woman last night. She told me that she knew your brother. She asked me to tell him to call her.
ok, so it actually only omits/changes a couple of words, but in a real life conversation it gives you some breathing space!

1 Like

Thank you Siaron. I broke the sentence down in the correct way that you showed me to get as follows

WNES I GWRDD Â MENYW NEITHIWR – I met a woman last night

DDWEDODD WRTHA I BOD HI’N NABOD DY FRAWD - she told me that she knew your brother

A GOFYNNODD HI I MI DDWEUD WRTHO FE GALW HI. - and she asked me to tell him to call her

As you say it definitely helps to split longer sentences up into smaller bits. I remember reading very many years ago about punctuation that it’s good to gather up all the commas etc and convert them into decent full stops.

Very helpful advice Diolch yn fawr eto

1 Like

There you go! :+1:

As part of the learning process, did you see where your original attempt went awry? It’s as (if not, more) important to see where and what mistakes have been made as it is to see a corrected version. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes I did. Ddewddod wrtha i - who told me instead of she told me is easier.

Hi Sharon
I haven’t come across “she asked” so far in the lessons (I’ve just finished Level 1, challenge 15) but I will certainly look out for it now. Would HE ASKED ME translate to GOFYNODD (F)E I MI??

All good stuff and very helpful.

Many thanks

yes indeed it would :slight_smile:

Diolch Siaron

1 Like

Siaron

A Welsh speaking friend of mine translated “I WILL LET HIM KNOW” as

“WNAI RHOI GWYBOD IDDO FE”

Is this how you would say it

I’m keen to learn the ‘correct’ forms before getting involved in ‘colloquial’ forms.

Yes, that’s fine (no difference here between ‘correct’ and ‘colloquial’ - it’s both)

Diolch Siaron. I’ll atch out for this in the lessons. I’m now on Level 1 challange 16 - and still enjoying it, but I must make the effort to join one of the speaking groups on this forum

1 Like