Email today about a new App

I was excited to get that, because I’ve done nothing, NOTHING, for 7 weeks now, and need something to get me going again.

Well, only my daily 2 minutes of Duolingo, but that hardly counts.

First hurdle was I thought that I had to search in the App Store “saysomethinginwelsh”, which gave me the old course. You need to search “saysomethingin” with no language after it. Yes, I know that’s what it says in the email, but I stupidly assumed that you were invited to add your language to the generic.

Second hurdle I haven’t yet overcome. I managed to log in, and was recognised, but it seems to have put me back to the start, rather than where I am on Automagic. And I can see no way of moving forward.

What am I missing, folks?

And another question, is it like Automagic?

Diolch yn fawr. (I haven’t forgotten everything!)

1 Like

Helo @longhurstjennifer! Great that you found the new app in the end :slight_smile:
It contains more than just Welsh, and you’re entitled to use all of the languages so the name is just SaySomethingin and we hope to add lots more languages in the future.

We’ve had a slight issue with the Welsh progress which Rich has explained here:

There are about a dozen items in the Welsh courses that the old Web App rather mysteriously did not mark as complete.

The items are scattered through the course but with quite a few near the beginning.

When we have looked, the new App has everyone’s progress but it is diligently doing its ‘completer finisher’ thing to get ticks in those boxes…and once they are done, will carry on.

So whilst it feels like the progress has gone, it actually hasn’t - it is all there.

That’s why you seem to be back at the beginning, but after you’ve moved through those markers, you should jump along quite quickly to where you should be.

It’s an updated version of the original AutoMagic prototype that we made available as a Web App, so it works very much in the same way.

Croeso :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello again.

Well, I’ve been trying, but I have a few problems, which hopefully somebody can help me with.

1. When the sentence is anything but very short, when the words are on screen, I can only see half of the sentence, the rest being obscured by the three little boxes.

I am on an iPad, and the whole SSI is just a small box taking up less than half the screen.

How do I get the app to take up more of the screen so there’s more room for the words?

1. I followed the advice to click on SKIP to move forward, in an attempt to get back to the stage that I was at. But it went from “ I am trying to say something in Welsh” at a painfully slow speed of speech with looong pause, to something suddenly so fast I could hardly repeat in English, yet alone say it in Welsh.

How do I get to where I am in Automagic?

1. I cannot find how to adjust the speed. I am looking for the part on Automagic where you say if you’re feeling Good, or Fantastic, or whatever, and the pause and speech go faster or slower.

Thank you for your advice. I’m just about to go back to Automagic. A good name and a good programme. Hopefully I’ll be able to get some advice and try the SaySomethingin. Again

@longhurstjennifer I don’t have an iPad so I’m not sure exactly how to do it, but there should be something to click to maximise the app so that it covers the whole screen. Perhaps someone who’s iPad savy could come along and explain that … or @rich ?

If you’re trying to get back to the same place that you are in AutoMagic, you need to follow the process described in a post above - allowing the app to give you revision of earlier material while it gets those items ticked off, then it will jump along until it reaches the correct place. This can take a couple of hours, depending on how far you are in AutoMagic, so you may need to just set it running and keep a check on it every now and then, if you don’t want to do any revision.

The new app doesn’t have the Feeling Gauge of AutoMagic, rather it adjusts the speed automatically as you move through the material.

Who do I speak to about subscription issues with the new app.

I have paid my subscription for this month with Iphone subscriptions its come out of my bank account yet I donæt have access to the app and automagic.

@martin-smith The fastest way to get a response is to email admin@saysomethingin.com but email you from there now so we can work out what the issue is.