Eisteddfod 2017 aug 4 -12

Ok pawb.

Its just over six months to the eisteddfod. I’m not one for camping but it seems now is the time to try to book somewhere.

I’m going to try and get a cottage for a few days. If anyone is interested let me know.

Pete

1 Like

I am planning on being very nice to my sister-in-law (who lives just outside Bangor…) My camping days are behind me now!

2 Likes

Registration for the carafan site opens tomorrow, BTW: https://eisteddfod.cymru/maes-carafanau-2017

2 Likes

Surely not Sara.

Wendy and I have booked ourselves into a hotel on Menai Straits somewhere, and will do a daily commute to the Maes

3 Likes

Well we’re planning on braving the camping, possibly with another mainly Welsh speaking family. I wonder if there will be any other intrepid SSIWers on the campsite?

1 Like

How much does it cost to camp there ?

Depends if you want electric or not. The facilities have been getting better year on year and the showers in 2016 in particular were very good. The on-site shop could have been better, mind.
If you want a very basic camping experience with some very lively neighbours and entertainment thrown in, you could also try MaesB!

4 Likes

Prices (10 days): £260 for a pitch with electric, £130 (tents only) for a pitch without.

The camping field will be right next to the maes, apparently, so no mucking around with shuttle buses or the like.

Sometimes, if there are spare pitches left by the beginning of June, half weeks are offered for just over half price, but I wouldn’t advise risking it: The camp site sold out at Meifod 2015 way before June, for example.

Camping is also offered by Cymdeithas yr Iaith, usually at a local football or rugby club, and this is always cheaper but the facilities will be more basic (no electric - we used solar panels to keep our leisure batteries topped up), though the atmosphere will usually be friendlier and more communal.

As I mentioned in my other post, Maes B is the cheapest option as you can get camping, admission to the night time gigs and admission to the maes for little more than a hundred quid. That’s if you don’t mind sharing the camp site with young people holding what is in effect a week-long party. If you can cope without electricity and can find a quiet corner, then you should be OK.

3 Likes

Thanks for that @robbruce plenty of options to consider there. I only live a half hour drive away and am assuming there will be a park and ride there but not sure if I will get the full experience doing it that way . Plus it would be nice to have a drink and listen to the bands in the evening.

3 Likes

I can book a cottage from sat to sat for £200 each

1 Like

The Eisteddfod has just announced that the tent field is now full.

I think Cymdeithas still have space if you’re yet to book.

2 Likes

As I don’t live too far from Ynys Mon I have decided against camping there and just going for a few day visits , probably 3 separate days but am unsure which days to book tickets for . Are there any days with more going on or worth visiting more than others ? Also is it more expensive to book nearer the time ?:slight_smile:

Are you into Ceremonies? Crowning - Monday, Chairing - Friday. (if someone wins). You’d need a ticket/seat in the Pavilion to see these. If these don’t interest you, are there any competitions that grab you, Bands, Choirs, Singers, Cerdd Dant, Recitation?

1 Like

I would like to see a bit of everything really. I’ve never been to the Eisteddfod before so am really looking forward to it

1 Like

The ceremonies get broadcast on big screens outside the Pavilion, but on the Maes, for people who want to see, but haven’t got a ticket. There is usually a big screen in Maes D.

2 Likes

Unfortunately I will not be there this year :pensive:

I will be next year and the offer of a room in our house still stands.

1 Like

Is anyone going to be at the eisteddfod on 5th or 6th August? I’ve never been before.

2 Likes

Yes, I’m planning to be there that weekend.

1 Like

I’m going to be there from the Saturday (5th) through to the Friday morning (11th).

I was wondering if we should set up a meeting point somewhere on the Maes that SSiWers could head to each day if they wanted to meet others. No one would be there permanently, just set a couple of times, e.g. 11am and 2pm, and any SSiWers that are around could head to that point and hang around for 5-10 minutes to see if others show up. Then people could have company wandering around the Maes, arrange to meet for particular events during the week, that kind of thing. Does anyone think it’s worth doing something like that?

When we had a shared stand in Maes D, that used to be the default meeting place, but we don’t have that now so I think we need something in its place.

6 Likes