Dydd Miwsig Cymru - Welsh Language Music Day 05/02/2021

It’s that time of year again. Time to prepare for a whole day of celebrating all that is Welsh Language Music!

Here’s a fabulous Welsh Music Day trailer -

From folk to rock, from reggae to brass bands, from choral pieces to indie, from love ballads to funk - Welsh music has something for absolutely everyone.

So this Friday, whether you’re already familiar with Welsh music or discovering it for the first time, why not join in the celebrations and spend the day saturating yourself in all the welsh music scene has to offer. I can guarantee that you will be amazed by the wide array of music styles available. I can guarantee that you will hear songs you never knew existed.

This following Welsh Government link will provide you with further information about this fabulous day. It will also provide you with Twitter and Facebook links, highlights from last year, links to playlists and so much more. -

Throughout the day on Friday, Huw Stephens (Welsh radio presenter, broadcasting on BBC Radio Cymru and BBC Radio 6 Music and founder of Dydd Miwsig Cymru), will be on Radio Cymru 2, celebrating all that is Welsh music. To see what his schedule of programmes will be on Friday, click here -

To listen to Huw Stephens chatting to Aled Hughes this morning about Dydd Miwsig Cymru and giving a mention to SSiW, click here and listen from about 39:00 -

To explore Welsh music further or share with us your favourite Welsh songs, have a look at this thread -

5 Likes

Here’s a fabulous, varied playlist of Welsh music by Yws Gwynedd…

4 Likes

Parental pride corner - My Daughter, Tegwen, who is currently a student in Bangor will be presenting her selection of top tunes on Radio Cymru 2 between 2:30 and 3:00 on Dydd Miwsig Cymru. Tiwniwch i mewn! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Few of my favourites below, some of whom I’ve had the pleasure of working with on various festival stages

Also, please make sure you check out Wrecsam’s finest, Focus Wales, in October (croesu bysedd…)

https://www.focuswales.com

2 Likes

I loved this tweet from
"To put music to a language, is to give it subtitles, is to make it international, is to make it everyone.” -Rhys Ifans

You don’t need to speak Welsh to LOVE Welsh language music. Give it a go. You never know, you might find your next fave tiwn🎶 #DyddMiwsigCymru https://twitter.com/Miwsig_/status/1357254390093123584/video/1

But someone had to tell them this :sunglasses::joy:![

3 Likes

Good work @gisella-albertini taking them to task for their shocking omission of Datblygu. They could’ve chosen a better song than Y Teimlad but it’s the thought that counts, I guess!

1 Like

@PeterG I was tempted to suggest a different choice,
in fact, but after all it’s their list and there’s no need to always be annoyingly picky! :sweat_smile:

@robbruce Miss Tegwen sounded very professional! And although I certainly like some of her choices more than others, I did appreciate she went for lesser known tiwns :+1:

1 Like