Dydd Miwsig Cymru 2024

It’s Dydd Miwsig Cymru this Friday (9 February) - a chance to celebrate our wonderful Welsh-language music scene. There will be all sorts of things going on, all over the country and online. I’ll kick off with S4C Clic, which already has a rail up of music programmes:

2 Likes

If you’re in Cardiff, there’s an event that’s being produced by S4C Lŵp and PYST to showcase specially commissioned music videos on the big screen: Chapter | Lŵp x Pyst: Dydd Miwsig Cymru 2024

You can find out more about the day itself, who to follow on social media to get the most up-to-date information, and links to their brilliant playlists on Spotify here: Welsh Language Music Day | GOV.WALES

Does anyone else know about events taking place near them?

Keep an eye on our Facebook page this week for lots of Dydd Miwsig Cymru content! Amongst other things, our team will be sharing their favourite Welsh songs with links to videos! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you’re a member of the SSiW Community Chat Slack group, we compiled a list of people’s favourite Welsh language singers and bands in the Group Chat yesterday. The list with YouTube links is available in the #group-video-recordings channel.

(If you’re not in the SSiW Community Chat Slack group, and you’re paying a subscription, you’re entitled to be. Send an email through to admin@saysomethingin.com and we’ll get you added. It gives you the opportunity to chat with other learners, ask questions, and take part in online group chat sessions with a tutor.)

1 Like

I don’t suppose there are any plans to put up ‘archive’ from S4C music shows (depending on rights of course) on clic at all? I’m thinking of ones like Fideo 9, 4 Trac, iDot, Bandit, Sesiwn Hwyr, etc?

(I may have been watching too many old TOTP compilations recently and got too nostalgic! :wink: )

Well that’s a lovely idea! I don’t know what the rights situation is like, but I will definitely pass on the suggestion :smile:

1 Like

As part of Dydd Miwsig Cymru celebrations on 9 February, the Welsh Government is supporting a series of gigs in community-led cooperative pubs across Wales. You can read more about that here:

but if you’d rather skip to the chase, here’s the list of Dydd Miwsig Cymru events taking place with Welsh Government support mentioned in the article:

8/2/24

Live music bingo, Ty’n Llan, Llandwrog, Gwynedd

9/2/24 – Dydd Miwsig Cymru

Mari Mathias, Llew Gwyn, Cerrigydrudion, Conwy

Dafydd Iwan, Saith Seren, Wrexham

Meryl Elin, Iorwerth Arms, Bryngwran, Ynys Môn

Huw Chiswell a Rhiannon O’Connor, Tŷ Tawe, Swansea

Phil Gas a’r Band, Pengwern, Llan Ffestiniog, Gwynedd

Elis Derby, Yr Heliwr, Nefyn, Gwynedd

Kim Hon, Pys Melyn, Dafydd Owain, Cyn Cwsg, Parisa Fouladi, Dadleoli & Taran, Clwb Ifor Bach, Cardiff

Moniars, Tafarn y Fic, Llithfaen, Gwynedd

Endaf, Baby Brave, Eadyth, Ffenest, The Parish, Wrexham

Danielle Lewis, Tafarn y Vale, Ystrad Aeron, Ceredigion

Paid Gofyn, Clwb y Bont, Pontypridd, Rhondda Cynon Taf

A discussion with Barry Archie Jones from the band Celt, Tŷ’n Llan, Llandwrog, Gwynedd

10/2/24

Morgan Elwy, Glan Llyn, Clawddnewydd, Denbighshire

Gai Toms, Tafarn y Plu, Llanystumdwy, Gwynedd

Gwilym Bowen Rhys, Pengwerrn, Llan Ffestiniog, Gwynedd

Gethin a Glesni, Ty’n Llan, Llandwrog, Gwynedd

17/2/24

Ciwb ac Alis Glyn, Tafarn Yr Eagles, Llanuwchllyn, Gwynedd.

1 Like

This video popped up on my Facebook feed this morning - a special poem for Dydd Miwsig Cymru, using some lines from some of our most iconic songs. Are there any you recognise?

@siaronjames: We couldn’t quite manage Fideo 9, but here’s Eddie Ladd for you!! :wink:

[Edited to fix link]

1 Like

And here’s a lovely new recording for you - a beautiful arrangement of one of Cerys Hafana’s songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptDi32Y44gE

Funnily enough I was watching “Sesiwn Fawr 2004” for work purposes recently and the lines in that quarry shot above come from ‘Graffiti Cymraeg’, the song Anweledig were performing on it - it was one of the handful of times I joined them on stage. Happy days!

1 Like

Os dach chi isio wneud graffiti…

2 Likes