Dw i’n moyn

This course (which is fab) has taught me to say Dw i’n moyn for I want. But all my friends tell me that the correct phrase is dw i eisiau. Help?

Both these phrases are correct, it’s just that they are used in different areas - some will say “dwi’n moyn” and some will say “dwi eisiau”. A broad generalisation is that you’ll hear ‘moyn’ used more in the South.
Use whichever you feel comfortable with, and if you feel happier swapping to the one your friends use, that’s no problem - at least you’ll recognise both forms when you hear them :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Adar o’r unlliw hedant i’r unlle. Birds of a feather flock together. Which is a lovely expression and is not a direct translation…(Birds of the same colour fly to the same place). Its a belonging thing - a group of people like similar things. Which is entirely natural in my experience.
Anyway, I hope you like the Welsh proverb!

4 Likes

Resurrecting an elderly thread, 'cos I’m parsimonious. And with a tendency towards necromancy.

I had a discussion with a colleague today, who is a native Welsh speaker from Pembrokeshire. She is adamant that "the 'n in dw i’n moyn is never pronounced and barely ever written, and that to do so is a bit strange and hyper-correct. According to this view, I should use dw i moyn in both speaking and writing.

I’m learning the Southern course, but I understand that there are several sub-dialects within this grouping, so I’d like to get a feel for what is “right”, if indeed anything can be said to be “right”.

What sayeth the hive-mind?

Pembrokeshire is its own beast.

Wes is used for Oes over there.

Lets put it this way. My friends raised through Welsh medium in more anglicised areas like Lower Abertawe and Caerdydd…say dwi’n moyn. You are fine. If you live in the Penfro…just copy them.

1 Like

Thanks!

Pembrokeshire is its own beast.

That’s actually what another friend just said, only he was slightly ruder. :laughing:

Sîr Penfro is sort of the area I want to retire to in a few years, so I will keep an ear out for the differences. That said, decades ago, I learned French using a method very similar to SSI, and I’m a firm believer in “being understood” being superior to “being perfect”. I just don’t want to be chased out of the county with pitchforks.

1 Like

I would say ‘fi moyn’ for I want and ‘sai moyn’ for I don’t want, so no ‘yn’. But it’s really a personal thing, and so removed from formal Welsh that you’ve got pretty much carte blanche to say what you like.
Sometimes people think they’re helping in all good faith, but all they’re really saying is “people from down this street wouldn’t tend to say it that way”.

3 Likes

@richard-61 Apologies richard… my northern brain warped that answer. Rob (Bruce) sparked my memory… yeah my swansea and cardiff mates veer towards “rwy’n moyn” … Ive heard fi instead of rwy used by much more natural welsh speakers in the south as rob says (and increasingly younger people in southern Ceredigion too!)… dwi is heard much more in northern settings or some raised purely through standardised schooling. Apologies for the typo…maybe its a classic freudian slip haha

Diolch i’r ddau.

This makes thinks much clearer in my head. I’m going to stick to the way SSI teaches the course for the time being. When I move to Wales, I will pay close attention to the local vernacular and adopt accordingly.

1 Like

Definitely the way to go!
And for the record, I say wi’n moyn :joy:

1 Like

It’s almost impossible not to. It seems to be hard-wired into humans to copy each others’ little language quirks. :+1:

1 Like