Dw i and Dw i'n

Helo
With breton language, I’m used to pronounce added letters coming for example in front of a vowel, in order to make an artificial but “pretty” result (and also “easier to say”. They say…
So, as welsh, we for example have “ha” and “hag” for “a” and “ac”.
Ar c’has hag ar c’hi (the cat and the dog)
But
Kas ha ki (Cat and dog)

What I don’t understand refers to challenge 4 (north) with Dw i and Dw i’n. It seems to work in order contrary of “a” and “ac” (or other words of this kind) :
We (or I, at least !) woulld expect to have the N before a vowel, for example "Dw i’n angen, or even more “Dw i’n iisio” (to avoid the “hiatus” between the two i) and not needing this N in front of a consonant. I don’t find easier to say “Dw i’n mwynhau” than Dw i mwynhau (I would even find more “complicate” to say Dw i’n mwynjau)
But it is the contrary

But mayve this N has another use than the tradittonal - and often true but not always ! - explaination "easier to say this way, more natural etc ? :smiley:
So : why those Dw i’n in front of a consonant, and Dw i in front of a vowel (if I correctly understood challenge 4, otherwise I would be ashamed asking a useless and ridiculous question !) ?

Diolch yn fawr

I don’t know if challenge 4 North is any different than South (that I did).
But I think the fact here is that the n is not there to make pronunciation easier (like ac).
It stands for yn.
Dw i yn would be even more complicated to pronounce I would say!

The 'n (yn) is nothing to do with whether it precedes a vowel or not (although the yn does abbreviate to 'n if it follows a vowel), it is simply part of the bod construction for most* verbs.
*there are exceptions though. For instance, eisiau (also spelt isio/ishe, etc) never has an yn/'n, neither does angen and neither does a sentence using wedi (those 3 being the most common ones that trip people up).

This is one of the drawbacks of trying to look for ‘rules’ - there are always exceptions!

2 Likes

Diolfh yn fawr Siaron : so for once it’s not a letter beeing added to make a nice sound, but a letter missing
Aaah… rules…
Aaah, exceptions…

I was just surprised because Aran gave no explanation, and I like to (try to) understan when something seems to me “bizarre”.
Thanks a lot !

1 Like