DNA Cymru

Technically, I have read the book (in English!). In practice, I dip into bits I am trying to find out about!! I studied pre-history in an extra-mural course with Swansea Uni when I first retired, so I haven’t dipped very much into the early chapters!! However, I do think common sense tells us a lot about what people do in certain circumstances!! I had a threory about the stone called ‘Arthur’s’ on Cefn Bryn, Gower. It clearly did not mark a tomb. It seemed to be over a spring. Had it always been? There were a lot of stones marking springs in the area. Had I been able, I would have done a core sample below the stone to see what was present in the past, but that was not possible!!

I haven’t checked to see if John mentioned the young man buried in Paviland Cave, Gower in about 26,000 BC. He was mis-named ‘the red lady’ by a Victorian who thought anyone with beads must be female!! I checked on line today and an article about 2 years old says his DNA is the most common brought to Europe from Africa. He was buried before his friends had to move south away from the ice. I suspect, but can’t prove, that much the same families came north again when the ice retreated!