Diwrnod Shwmae Su'mae - Oct 15th 2022

Diwrnod Shwmae Su’mae is the annual event where the Welsh language is celebrated and people are asked to use as much Welsh as they can out and about - even if it’s just “Shwmae” or “Su’mae” in a cafe.

But there are events organised across Wales as well, so keep an eye out for what’s on in your area and post the information here.

Let’s start with Merthyr Tudful!

1 Like

Below is an event being held by Cymdeithas yr Iaith to discuss the future of Welsh education. It would be suitable for advanced learners / new Welsh speakers.

Here’s the official website: www.shwmae.cymru/?lang=en

You can follow on Twitter with @ShwmaeSumae22 and also promote any events or activities you know about with the hashtag #ShwmaeSumae22

A video made by Menter Iaith Castell-nedd Port Talbot celebrating Diwrnod Shwmae Su’mae last year:

If you have young children, the teaching resource website Twinkl have plenty of Swmae / Su’mae activities available. :blush:

https://www.twinkl.co.uk/search?q=shwmae

Welsh-folk-day-flyer-2 bilingual V2.pdf (141.9 KB)

1 Like

We’re opening up the Zoom sessions on Friday to anyone who wants to pop in and say “Shwmae” or “Su’mae”. You can just do that, or stay a little longer and have a chat with Nia and whoever else is there.

The times are - 10:00 to 11:00 BST for the morning session, and 16:00 to 17:00 BST (4-5 pm) in the afternoon.

I’ve put the clickable Zoom link in the PDF document below to hide it from bots!

Diwrnod Shwmae Su’mae 2022.pdf (59.1 KB)

1 Like

I’ve you’re not able to come along at those times, how about making a short video of yourself talking about using your Welsh, especially any stories of finding a Welsh speaker where you didn’t expect one!

Here are some of our lovely SSiW new Welsh speakers with the videos they’ve made to celebrate Diwrnod Shwmae Su’mae:

2 Likes
2 Likes

For some reason this one isn’t showing a picture to start off, but the video should still work.

2 Likes
2 Likes

And a tongue-in-cheek look at greetings across Cymru :smile:

2 Likes

And here’s another :slight_smile:

2 Likes

And the videos keep coming! Here’s another one! Da iawn bawb!

2 Likes

one day late however when I flew back BA from Stockholm one of the cabin staff was from Gorseinon so he and I had a lovely little chat in welsh during the flight. Made my day!

4 Likes