Discussion about naming etc in 'Speaking Practice'

2 Likes

Awesome work! Our first green badge!

Two thoughts…

a) could you re-record and replace with JUST the question - no intro preamble, which will be inaccessible to early stage learners? and

b) should we be trying to give some kind of clue about the level (beginner, intermediate, advanced?) of the question in the title? What do you think?

1 Like

What about linking it to the Courses? ie Course 1 level, Course 2 level, Course 3?

3 Likes

Good thought - but might be tough to remember where the words you’ve used come from?

2 Likes

I was thinking of it being a bit more general kind of thing. I imagine you would have a ‘feel’ for where each person’s question would fit in? There could be a ‘disclaimer’ saying that the vocab used was not necessarily in the course?

It might also help people understand the other types of things they could say with the patterns learned?

1 Like

2 Likes

I was careful not to use words that aren’t in the course somewhere.

So should I delete this thread and start again from scratch or just replace the recording and ignore the conversation that follows?

1 Like

@gruntius - maybe just start a new thread with the new recording, while we carry on cluttering up this one - and then I’ll tidy up after…:wink:

@a_jay - I’m not sure it can be both of those things?! I mean, either ‘by feel’ or 'showing what you can do with these patterns…

BUT… perhaps you’ve unearthed something…

How about if the thread title had the last course finished by the questioner?

So Geraint would be a Level 3 questioner… etc…?

1 Like

Also - Andy, could you post your question in its own thread? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, I guess that is exactly what I mean. Will repost in it’s own thread. Sorry to cause confusion, will delete that one above.

1 Like

Question Removed to Own Thread

1 Like

New question in new thread and old link edited. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was just going through the Speaking Practices and became a bit frustrated because I couldn’t find the one I was looking for. Do you think they should have more descriptive titles eg?

SIMPLE - Mynd i dafarn - from Andy (Currently doing Level 3)

The bank of what are now becoming real conversations is getting big, and it might help newcomers choose which ones they would like to have a go at first - and those wanting to answer to find the ones they want to try/have the ability to answer?

Just a thought…

:slight_smile:)

EDIT: Actually, I wonder if the title should be all in English:

SIMPLE - Going to the pub - from Andy (Currently doing Level 3)

4 Likes

I like this idea. As I said in somewhere in another thread, I’m having to keep a hand-written list of who asked what. Usually I see a question, don’t have time to answer it right then, record an answer later and then can’t find the question again to post my reply! Well, I find it eventually, but it takes some searching now that people are asking further questions.

1 Like

I was wondering about that too, so I’ve just edited my titles to add clues to the questions (in Welsh - before I saw your edit!). See if you think that works :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think they do work, but was worried about he rule of not writing in Welsh on the forum as a matter of course?

The more complicated I guess could stay in Welsh with the simpler questions in English?

Perhaps @aran can help here?

1 Like

Same problem I had Margaret!

Heads up - this isn’t the right solution, I’m afraid - because it’s particularly important that people are getting their information from the question itself - ie, this is (key) listening practice.

Comes under the general heading of ‘desirable difficulty’. So we need a different idea for ‘searchability’ - which may have some overlap with the fact that we probably also need some kind of fine-tuned solution for threads that turn into extended discussions…

1 Like

Looking at them in context, I quite like Siaron’s ‘one Welsh word’ clue kind of thing - that might be the right middle ground?

4 Likes

But I think it does need to be kept to just ONE clue word…

2 Likes