Diolch yn fawr iawn

I’ve just come to the end of Level 3. Next steps will be to look up (and write down) the 625 words (have a quick Google of that if you haven’t heard of it – it’s an interesting topic), to listen to lots of Radio Cymru, to look for practical classes where I can pick up some formal grammar, and above all, to practise speaking with Welsh people in my local area.

If a Level 4 ever comes out, may I request a couple of my favourite (highly useful and necessary) phrases? How would you say the following in the Northern dialect?

It’s like trying to drink water from a firehose (a fair description of Challenge 25).
It’s like watching a dog at the controls of a helicopter (a fair description of my first attempt at Challenge 25).

4 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Firstly… llongyfarchiadau for completing level 3 :tada::medal_sports:

… and then to answer your questions -
It’s like trying to drink water from a firehose = Mae’n fel trio yfed dŵr o bibell ddiffodd tân
It’s like watching a dog at the controls of a helicopter = Mae’n fel gwylio ci wrth llyw hofrenydd

2 Likes

IF you happen to find or construct “the 625” yn y Cymraeg, I’d love to hear about it. Especially if someone has put them in Anki! My lazy search did not find it.

I’m about halfway through writing them longhand. I might post it up when I’ve finished, if you don’t mind reading my scrawl.

I find that physically writing things helps my memory retention.

2 Likes

I would love to see it if you do decide to post! Totally agreed about writing longhand.