Different types of Welsh

i have always understood that there is North Wales and South Wales Welsh. At s recent meeting I was told I was wrong and that there are at least 5 different types of Welsh Can someone enlighten me?

I’m no expert but Ihad some lessons from someone from Ceredigion and there were some expressions that seem unique to that area (eg “sai’n gybod” instead of “dwi’n ddim yn gybod” - sorry if that’s spelled wrong) I think it’s probably a continuum of regional variations from north to south with some oddities in between.
Anyone else know?

How you define ‘type’? Dialect, I guess. How many of those in England? A lot more than 5! The film ‘Kes’ caused a lot of hassle in 1969 because folk down south couldn’t understand the language! (Yorkshire, Barnsley area!) modern communications have helped to teach folk all dialects if not too strong, but they are still around!

1 Like

Sa i’n is taught in the SSiW lessons as a Southern form.

Sir Penfro, Pembrokeshire has some different pronunciations from Cwm Gwendraeth, the Gwendraeth Valley, which are in turn different from Caerffili. And they are all ‘southern’ versions. And there are local words for sweets, boys, girls. But none are so impenetrable as to be impossible to understand.

1 Like

Probably partly because we have much less mass media in Welsh, we still have a huge amount of variation - so you’ll find that people are very aware even of Welsh that comes from a different village, let alone a different county.

So on the one hand, no, it doesn’t make all that much sense to talk of northern or southern (although it’s a kind of short-hand that people often use) - it’s more almost village by village - but then the other important point is that nobody has any serious problems understanding people from other places (although they’ll often joke about it)… :slight_smile:

2 Likes