Dialect question

So, my question is really about the English spoken on the course because a sentence like “wyt ti isio gwylio’r ffilm 'na ar y penwythnos” given as “Do you want to watch that film at the weekend” feels weird and unnatural to me. This weekend, over the weekend, during the weekend, next weekend, etc all feel like ways of saying this, even on the weekend depending on context, but not “at the weekend.”

“At the weekend” is simply not a part of American English. I was also taught “dros y penwythnos” meant over the weekend.

Would you not say “dros y penwythnos” in Cymraeg (gogledd)? Is it simply a matter of Cymraeg and English using slightly different prepositions to mean the same thing? Do English speakers here say “at the weekend” normally and it’s just a UK/US difference? Is there a best practices phrase to use? Am I okay to say dros y penwythnos? Does that imply the entire weekend? Am I overthinking this?

I wouldn’t read too much into this. In British English, “at the weekend”, “over the weekend” and “this weekend” all mean basically the same, at least in this sentence (and “at the weekend” sounds completely natural).

“Dros y penwythnos” is fine to use and I wouldn’t say it carries an implication of the entire weekend.

2 Likes

Diolch yn fawr iawn! Mae hynny’n beth o’n i meddwl, ond o’n i isio bod yn siwr!

That is what I thought but I wanted to be sure.

2 Likes

Yes, dros y penwythnos would be fine here - ‘am y penwythnos’ would probably carry a little more sense of it being for the whole time - dan ni’n cael ffrindiau draw dros y penwythnos vs dan ni’n cael ffrindiau draw am y penwythnos - the first sounds like people coming round for a meal or something, the second as if they’re staying for the weekend.

But also, yes, overthinking! This stuff will always get hammered out in speech, and people will ask if they’re not sure, and you’ll get a more consistent feel for what people use the more Welsh conversations you have or listen to :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thanks!

I was also curious because the phrase “at the weekend” sounds so foreign and weird to me because we don’t say it in America . It’s like learning two languages for the price of one haha

1 Like

Yeah, two countries divided by a common tongue and all that… :wink:

1 Like

And now I’ve caught myself saying “across the weekend” on occasions, which of course is not idiomatic English at all…

1 Like

:joy: I love the reverse translation, losing-your-mother-tongue roller-coaster :smiley:

2 Likes

Fun, innit! The other classic recently, when someone asked how old my dog was: “pulling towards ten” :laughing:

3 Likes

Wait is that a phrase yn Gymraeg?

In Welsh I’d say “mae’n tynnu at ddeg” to mean “he’s getting on for ten”. Lovely bit of idiom, that…

2 Likes

:rofl: I’ve got a friend who likes to say (in an exaggerated rural Gwynedd accent) ‘I’M JUST GOING TO THE LITTLE HOUSE’

2 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Or “I’m just going to the six place”? (I don’t even know where to start with that one… Is it to do with sixpence, like “spend a penny”? Seems awfully expensive…)

:rofl: more like ‘place of six’ - probably from old agricultural outhouses with six places to, er, sit

Wait what is this phrase?

1 Like

Perfectly good English, if a little posh…

Sorry - in retrospect, that was a very “in-jokey” thing to say, which isn’t kind in a community of learners like this. I’m glad Margaret and Richard have jumped in with the relevant information. Note to self: be a bit more careful with your jokes to make sure you’re not excluding anyone.

4 Likes

Going back to the topic of ar y penwythnos, one of my tutors used to say dros y Sul to mean on the weekend. It doesn’t literally mean over the Sunday.

2 Likes