Cymraeg

is cymraeg said like " come-rag" or “come-b-rag”…is there a b sound in there?

The first one (no b) for parts of S Wales. Other parts of Wales have more of an “ige” sort of sound, a bit like the Eiger but stopping at the “g”.

To be honest, English type pronunciation doesn’t really do the trick, but hopefully we’ve got somewhere close.

Edited: simple answer: Yes come rag :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What @JohnYoung said. However, because [m] and [b] are both bilabial voiced consonants, if you were to pronounce a soft [b], noone would hear that. I think that’s why Cumbria is written with ‘b’

4 Likes

I say “come-raag” (with a long a) but then I’m a hwntw (Southerner). In other parts of Wales you may hear “come - raeg” where “raeg” rhymes with “draig” (dragon). :smile:

3 Likes

Are your anglophone ears hearing a rolled R as BR, perhaps? @markie-1

3 Likes

I think that may be the case, lorna

1 Like

Have a look at this link, Markie-1. I don’t know if this book has been translated into English, though, which is a pity because it looks a fascinating read. HuwJones has correctly summed it up by saying that ‘come-raag’ is hwntw-talk, and ‘come-raeg’ is gog-speak (generally).

http://clwbmalucachu.co.uk/cmcblog/2010/08/26/cymraeg-cymrag-cymreg-and-a-quick-intro-to-tafodiaith/

Likewise ‘Ar Lafar’ on S4C is all about tafodiaeth and regional pronunciation, but you may need subtitles if they’re available.

1 Like