Cymraeg in Galway

Just curious as to whether anyone is learning Welsh in or near Galway/Ireland? I did a basic Wlpan course several years ago and would like to revive and build a little on that if possible using SSiW. If anyone is doing the same around here perhaps they might like to have a chat in Welsh sometime? Interested in Irish/Cornish and general Celtic matters also. Diolch :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sounds like a fun one for the email, @Deborah-SSi? :sunny:

I was going to say “I’ll be nearby in July, in Fintona”, but I’ve just checked the map and it’s a 3-hour drive, so not THAT close :blush:

2 Likes

Yes, I even had to look up Fintona to see where it is! Was hoping for something a little more local… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m closer to Fintona than Galway, living in South Lietrim. But would be interested in Skype conversations, as I have let my self disciplined language learning slip terribly! I am a pretty fluent Irish speaker, so There may be some interest in adding that to the mix! My initial reason for learning Welsh was to try and get into middle welsh in order to read saga texts and poetry in the original language… But I am also just a general language nerd!

1 Like

I’d have to figure out how to use Skype first - apologies for being such a Luddite! Still it’s good to know someone is out there! I can keep up a conversation in Irish but with lots of mistakes. I was useless at school so really only learned Irish in my forties (in fits and starts…). Happy to practise with anyone who can tolerate that! Níl seans agam bheith ag labhairt go minic.

I was trying to struggle through a couple of pages of my children’s version of the Mabinogi over breakfast today (mostly reading the vocab section…) and have an interest in Myth etc. I have been known to read Welsh poetry out loud to myself just to hear the language, while only having the most general idea as to what it actually means.

1 Like

It’s worth doing - opens up a world of language practice possibilities… :sunny:

A very warm welcome to the forum, Isolde… :sunny:

1 Like