Cwpan Rygbi'r Byd - 2015 - Rugby World Cup

What do you all think of the banning of bagpipes? There is considerable unhappiness in Yr Alban!! (Along with a feeling that the way the Scots team has been playing, the more help they can get, the better! Although they did better against Italy than we did in the last game!). I must say, I think folk should be able to support in ways that come naturally!! Does the Dax band still play for Le Bleus from the stand? And having cockerels on the pitch can cause problems!! We use our voices, which would be hard to ban!! Was all this because some folk donā€™t like the (canā€™t spell it) boo boo zela?
p.s. Any more injuries and Cymru will be playing the under 10s!!!

I didnā€™t know they had been. Sounds rubbish. Banning vuvuzelas, sure, but banning bagpipes seems a bit like banning the haka - itā€™s part of the colour of the game.

1 Like

Iā€™m not particularly interested in football, but during home matches, my local teams supporters ring a bell non-stop for the whole match. This type of ā€œtraditionā€ make the games what they are. Vive la diffĆ©rence!

1 Like

Agreed here with @aran and @gary_stokes_7. If Slovenia would by any chance play there surely would be at least one accordeon on the stand. ā€¦

Itā€™s not rugby but for the taste hereā€™s a picture how our basketball team was supported on Eurobasket 2013 which was held in Slovenia 2 years ago (forget this yearā€™s one, it was rubbish for us ā€¦) .

https://dn3pm25xmtlyu.cloudfront.net/photos/large/808749181.png?1379198993&Expires=1442527767&Signature=D1G7yFfa9E66f2AyJMdI94g3ZkovaAtYcituS5jbUtszn8oos3ysfCKkrJ6OtcC~~uQBB5f9lmuC0we~z9669R1Urqx8oIbJTfFMVhPYVVpNTw8FtQUuznSEq7S10rBpp3o4efEj7R4UYYSb8CRixY-Zsanjv9WTk422U587qFk_&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA

So, I believe supporters should support their teams natural way, too.

1 Like

Hi, the Haka is a way of expression and can be done in different contexts it is not just a mere war dance yes it was done prior to engaging in a war situation, however, it can also be used to express feelings of joy in congratulating others who may have been successful in their endeavours. It can also be used as a form of protest in olden times there were Haka to protest over the selling of Alcohol as the old people saw this as not useful for people to indulge in. There are different types of Haka for various situations. It is basically saying without disrespect here is our heart and now you place your heart here and may the stronger prevail. The ABs themselves have done a lot of researching and learning of the specific haka that they do. Ka mate, ka mate, is taken from when an old chief was running to seek refuge and was being pursued by soldiers he was lamenting that life and culture for him was different and that life is both in death and life. More to come I hope that this helps.

2 Likes

Massive help @peterluke60! Thank you in deed!

When I was in high school in New Zealand we always had a very multicultural prizegiving ceremony at the end of the year, starting with a Maori challenge by one of the students to any dignitaries that came, and song performances by the different island groups, e.g. Samoans, Nuieans and Tongans. There was always a haka at some stage during the proceedings and everyone loved it. It was part of our general way of celebrating and Iā€™m glad to see it is becoming stronger than ever.

2 Likes

This article explains really well what the haka means to Kiwis, and there is a fantastic very emotional haka performed as a mark of respect at the funeral of a teacher

1 Like

To @Deborah-SSi and @peterluke60 That was wonderful!! I am wishing the ABs well this year, mainly because I think our injuries have probably kiboshed our chances!!
I was sorry for Fiji last evening. Are they short of replacements? England brought on a load of fresh legs and Fiji looked very tired.

Well what a phenomenal result for Japan. Thatā€™s woken the World Cupā€¦ :sunny:

1 Like

I thought my eyes play tricks with me when I saw the result. Iā€™m actually VERY satisfied with this result though. Letā€™s hope for the best for Cymru now. Ummm, well, Iā€™d also be extreamly glad if Italy would beat France, just for fun of it as theyā€™re my neighbours ā€¦ Result is 6-0 to France right now though and itā€™s not likely France would give up just easily though. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, like I said a while ago world cup rugby is different and with the exposure of various coaches going to such countries as Japan it should be good for them. Some interesting games with varied results the Welsh team with a couple of injuries tho, how do they stack up hopefully not too bad. I will definitely be supporting them against England. The ABs got through Argentina were always going to be difficult and I think we knew that. However, itā€™s exciting.

1 Like

Umm, well. ABs finally won at the end and so did we but France V Italy was the nasty one, rough to the bits and at moments I thought theyā€™ll carry out of the pitch the whole both teams already in the first match.

I somehow couldnā€™t find the time to watch SA v Japan and now Iā€™m sorry for that. Iā€™d love to see that Japanese victory. Itā€™s superb!.

And yes, not just this one, but all World Championships in all sports are something different to other competitions where (mostly) teams and individuals give the best and the most they can and (thank Havens) theyā€™re fearless aswell what is only right to do.

1 Like

I met a sweet man, born & bred in Cymru, who was living and working in Japan and who came over with their team in 1973. I met him in the Cardiff club room. I think he was involved in coaching in Japan and he said it had always been his ambition to bring a team to Wales!!
I was quite sorry when the scorers seemed to have trouble finding high enough numbers for our score and, with the whole Armā€™s Park, rose to cheer Japanā€™s score to roof-raising levels (had we had a roof!!).
On Saturday, I visualised that dear manā€™s likely reaction to ā€œhis boysā€™ā€ play!! (He seemed quite old to me in '73, so I doubt heā€™s still alive) I was glad I had lived to see that ā€˜forā€™ him!! Especially when they said, in effect, ā€œDamn a penalty for a draw, weā€™ll get a try and win!!!ā€
p.s. If our effort against the doctors, dentists, farmers, surveyors and lawyers of Uruguay represented the shape of things to come, England will end up doing to us what we did to Japan in '73!! Weā€™ll deserve it and not get an ovation if we do finally score!!
p.s. 24/09/15 I will not tell my neighbours, but I was cheering Japan yesterday. I am sure their lack of time between games counted against them. I notice England have their games evenly distributed in the time available. The ā€˜minnowsā€™ all have squashed schedules! It just is not fair!!!

stayed up til the wee hours this morning to watch the Wallabies first game against Fiji. Solid performance, got the job done. Nothing fancy, nothing special. nice solid scrum for the most part-- itā€™s been a while.

1 Like

Yeah. Iā€™m not seeing it as particularly good timing, although Iā€™d have been happy for them if they were in a different groupā€¦:wink:

By some teams this is something special itself. :slight_smile: I actually love when scrums are solid ā€¦

Yah (as I once said already) ā€œourā€ group is a group of ā€œdeathā€. :smile:

Oh, gee, imgine group

• England
  • Wales
  • AllBlacks
  • Australia.

We would ā€œkillā€ each-other. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh absolutely. Its just like having the Netherlands and Socceroos in the same group with the football. Then add in the Spanish.
I was mortified - again.
But never fear, it only leaves one practical solutionā€¦
Knock out the English! :smile:

2 Likes

A, yah ā€¦ step by step it will have to go ā€¦ Hope we walk very long way uphill. :slight_smile: