Croeso! Welcome to 1 sentence in Welsh - how is it going for you?

I am just starting again late in life. I learnt the grammar maybe 60 years ago and I can quite honestly say that the rudiments are still here but burried under colloquial ‘speek’. But! what is important is to be understood today and so I chose to go with the flow and adapt. I failed my Welsh O Level but I hope to improve without the draconian slaps for spelling mistakes :slight_smile: My take on mutations, say, is that they make the sentence flow more easily when spoken … that’s far easier than trying to remember male and female etc.

5 Likes

Hi I’m Andy,I live in North Wales and want to learn welsh.ive started day 1 and feel comfortable with things.is there a difference between north and south Welsh.

2 Likes

Welcome Andy!

There is a bit of difference between north and south Welsh but in practise it’s not so huge as to mean you won’t be understood at opposite ends of the country.

Hello! I’ve been doing Welsh practice on Duolingo for a while now, but I’ve heard great things about SSiW so I thought I’d give it a try! I especially love that SSiW gives you the opportunity to learn a specific dialect rather than just smashing them all together.

2 Likes

This exactly! As Welsh descendants, we are Celtic, not Anglo Saxon. I want to learn the language and history of my ancestors. My father was only first generation but had no knowledge of the language. I want to connect so many dots. :laughing:

1 Like

Hello everyone. I started to learn on SSiW this week and found the first 5 sessions very enjoyable and effective. I have sung with a Welsh Male choir for 40 years so about time I learned more Welsh. Also two Grandsons in Welsh medium education so they can teach me! I am also inspired by Yma O Hyd as my choir, Llantrisant Male choir has recently learned it at my insistence! A question: I also learn Welsh on Duolingo, should I keep this going at the same time as SSiW?

1 Like

Same here. Are you keeping Duolingo going as well. Slight differences like Moyn and Eisiau, but I think learning on both would be advantageous.

Croeso Colin :slight_smile:

Yes, by all means you can do both SSiW and Duolingo. Duolingo will help you with vocabulary, but SSiW will help you build your conversation skills. One thing to be aware of though - SSiW often uses colloquial spoken forms that Duolingo will tell you are incorrect. They’re not incorrect, just not ‘standardised’ language like that of Duolingo.

2 Likes

Diolch

1 Like

Hi, did you find an explanation on when to use Wyt i’n or Dych chi’n?

Hello! I’m Louise. I’m new here and have just done my first lesson :blush: My husband is a proud Welshman and is teaching our 2 year old son Aneurin to speak Welsh. I would love to learn with him and keep up with their conversations, but I’m a little nervous! I hope to be able to understand and join in with conversations when we go to visit our family in Tregaron. My biggest obstacle so far is that I can’t roll my R’s! Please wish me luck! Diolch x :two_hearts:

3 Likes

Croeso Louise :slight_smile:

Don’t worry too much about this - I can’t either but it hasn’t stopped me speaking Welsh for 20+ years as a second-language speaker!
You might find some of the threads here useful though -
https://en.forum.saysomethingin.com/search?q=rolling%20r

Thank you so much for your response! I’m glad to hear you can still be a successful Welsh speaker without this skill. Also comforted by the hundreds of others with the same problem. I’ll keep practicing and try not to let it hold me back! x

3 Likes

My name is Ifor and I was born in London to two Welsh speaking parents (Father from Tregaron and my mother from Kidwelly). I suspect I had some Welsh till about age of 6 but lost it thereafter. However if I sat in Kidwelly Rugby Club I still can hear certain words and get a jist of what is being said.( I insisted they carried on in Welsh, their first language).
I am 77 and this mission is all about why have i not done this before. I did try one or two text book approaches but quickly gave up.
I am retired and live (a widower) in Cilcain a small village near Mold with a fair number of Welsh speakers.

4 Likes

I received my final lesson today. Yet to work through it. Later!
I like the SSiW approach to learning, so I shall probably sign up for a subscription. I am also trialling Duolingo Welsh and getting on ok, but I’m not keen on all the “bells & whistles”. I guess it works ok for some, but I prefer a much simpler approach.
I am second generation Welsh (well, half-Welsh, as my mother isn’t). I was born abroad, but that’s another story. My father and his siblings are all from Cardiff and their parents are from the Bridgend area. My paternal grandmother’s maiden name was ‘John’.
I spent my secondary education years in Tywyn (Merionydd) from 1968-1975. Welsh was taught to everyone right up to O-Level, so I have an O-Level in Welsh (for English speakers) from 1973.
I left Tywyn in 1975 and have moved around the UK quite a bit with work, etc. (Mostly in England.) But, I have returned frequently to Snowdonia / Eryri for walking, climbing, cycling, etc. I now live in Shropshire.
I retired from full-time paid employment at the end of November 2022 and made a promise to myself to get reacquainted with my Welsh heritage. I still have family in Wales. My father lives near Cardigan. And I have an aunt / uncle who farm near New Quay, plus several cousins in that area. All are Welsh speakers. So, to address all of this, I have:

• Joined the Snowdonia Society and will participate in their programme of conservation activities.
  • Signed up for a ‘Taster’ course (online) with Nant Gwrtheyrn and may sign up for further courses with them, including their residential courses.
  • Will (probably) sign up for the Open University course (‘Discovering Wales and Welsh’), but probably not until later this year.

I consider learning the language (again) to be a key element of my journey, and I look forward to using SSiW to get me moving in the right direction.
I also hope to participate here in this Forum, and look forward to exchanging ideas and experiences of my learning journey on these pages.

Best wishes to everyone here!
William ‘Bill’ Evans

2 Likes

Bore da. I shall continue for the moment in saesneg.
My problem is that though I consider myself a Welsh speaker…I am not a Welsh writer or reader. I LEARNED my welsh naturally (South Wales Carmarthenshire) as it was my mothers toungue.
But I have learned to speak welsh phonetically, In my head I think I know what the words looked like. To my astonishment really I do not… I have never opened a book in welsh nor a newspaper…so I can only descibe my condition as Welsh word blindness…this inhibits my ability to pronounce the words correctly as over the years oh my god have I picked up some bad interpretations of welsh words and phrases… They look nothing like the way I had mentally assumed they looked like,and the inevitable Cymlish that has seaped in such as “likeo” “phono” etc.
Where am I going? You may well ask…
So here goes.
I WOULD like to improve my linguistic ability to correct my bad manners…
Therefore is there any reason why you could not subtitle what you are teaching us and show us the structure of the words. So we not only hear your perfect pronounciations but “SEE” the words and recognise them so that "un dydd fyddau gylli escribir yn Gymraeg. NOW that to me is what that short phrase looks like in my head all my life !! I am sure its not …correct.
I DON’T thi k for a moment that pi king up a welsh novel and reading it is the answer to my blindness as it would just be doubledegouch as if you have no idea what your looking at…no matter how long one stares at it it isn’t going to fall into place, just like that.
Basically could we see the sentences as well as hear them as I think then everthing will be largely retained to a greater degree than just hearing and repeating the phrases like a parrot. The Parrot cannot read and he has not really have any idea what he is repeating no matter how entertaining he is to the listener Seeing the new words and getting a feeli g for the structure has to help surely.
Does that happen at any stage in the course?

@david-thomas-7 we are just in the process of releasing our new AutoMagic app which does exactly what you’re requesting. You get the Welsh text displayed as the male voice is speaking, so you hear it first with the female voice, then both see it and hear it with the male voice.

If you register as a new learner, you should have access to that.

1 Like

Ooh. Exciting. I’m interested! Is it available on Apple App store yet? If not, when? Diolch yn fawr iawn. Bill

It’s being gradually rolled out as an option for current users as well. If you go to ‘Learn’ at the top of the webpage and it’s available to you, it will show up there.

You could also try going to https://automagic.saysomethingin.com/ and see if you have access.

1 Like

Amazing! Just tried it. Thanks. I’m hooked already. Does it deliver the same material, but via this interface? I’ve just started the ‘6 mins per day’ course (Week 1) and have worked through Level 1 / Challenge 1 as per Aran’s email. Can I use AutoMagic now? Thanks.