Croeso! Welcome to 1 sentence in Welsh - how is it going for you?

I am just starting again late in life. I learnt the grammar maybe 60 years ago and I can quite honestly say that the rudiments are still here but burried under colloquial ‘speek’. But! what is important is to be understood today and so I chose to go with the flow and adapt. I failed my Welsh O Level but I hope to improve without the draconian slaps for spelling mistakes :slight_smile: My take on mutations, say, is that they make the sentence flow more easily when spoken … that’s far easier than trying to remember male and female etc.

4 Likes

Hi I’m Andy,I live in North Wales and want to learn welsh.ive started day 1 and feel comfortable with things.is there a difference between north and south Welsh.

2 Likes

Welcome Andy!

There is a bit of difference between north and south Welsh but in practise it’s not so huge as to mean you won’t be understood at opposite ends of the country.

Hello! I’ve been doing Welsh practice on Duolingo for a while now, but I’ve heard great things about SSiW so I thought I’d give it a try! I especially love that SSiW gives you the opportunity to learn a specific dialect rather than just smashing them all together.

2 Likes

This exactly! As Welsh descendants, we are Celtic, not Anglo Saxon. I want to learn the language and history of my ancestors. My father was only first generation but had no knowledge of the language. I want to connect so many dots. :laughing:

1 Like

Hello everyone. I started to learn on SSiW this week and found the first 5 sessions very enjoyable and effective. I have sung with a Welsh Male choir for 40 years so about time I learned more Welsh. Also two Grandsons in Welsh medium education so they can teach me! I am also inspired by Yma O Hyd as my choir, Llantrisant Male choir has recently learned it at my insistence! A question: I also learn Welsh on Duolingo, should I keep this going at the same time as SSiW?

1 Like

Same here. Are you keeping Duolingo going as well. Slight differences like Moyn and Eisiau, but I think learning on both would be advantageous.

Croeso Colin :slight_smile:

Yes, by all means you can do both SSiW and Duolingo. Duolingo will help you with vocabulary, but SSiW will help you build your conversation skills. One thing to be aware of though - SSiW often uses colloquial spoken forms that Duolingo will tell you are incorrect. They’re not incorrect, just not ‘standardised’ language like that of Duolingo.

2 Likes

Diolch

1 Like

Hi, did you find an explanation on when to use Wyt i’n or Dych chi’n?

Hello! I’m Louise. I’m new here and have just done my first lesson :blush: My husband is a proud Welshman and is teaching our 2 year old son Aneurin to speak Welsh. I would love to learn with him and keep up with their conversations, but I’m a little nervous! I hope to be able to understand and join in with conversations when we go to visit our family in Tregaron. My biggest obstacle so far is that I can’t roll my R’s! Please wish me luck! Diolch x :two_hearts:

2 Likes

Croeso Louise :slight_smile:

Don’t worry too much about this - I can’t either but it hasn’t stopped me speaking Welsh for 20+ years as a second-language speaker!
You might find some of the threads here useful though -
https://en.forum.saysomethingin.com/search?q=rolling%20r

Thank you so much for your response! I’m glad to hear you can still be a successful Welsh speaker without this skill. Also comforted by the hundreds of others with the same problem. I’ll keep practicing and try not to let it hold me back! x

2 Likes