Croeso! Welcome to 1 sentence in Welsh - how is it going for you?

Hello from another New Zealander. I started on the old course some time ago, just listening while I did my ironing. I have retained most of what I learned but want to progress now.
The best thing for me in this course is the vocabulary list. I’m one of those people who needs to know what words look like as well as how they sound. The day I can read a book in Welsh, I will know I have made progress!
I started learning Welsh because I was married to a man from Laugharne. I had hoped to travel with him to Wales one day, but the marriage was over before I got there. However, I got hooked on the sound of spoken - and sung - Welsh, so here I am, some years later, starting from scratch.
It’s lovely to hear Aran’s voice again. I can’t wait to become fluent.

6 Likes

Croeso from another Kiwi! Wales will be still there for you when you get the chance to visit, and you’ll receive a very warm welcome when you can speak some of the language!

1 Like

Thank you, Deborah. I will be very surprised if I get the opportunity to travel abroad any time soon. I turn 74 this month and my options diminish as time goes by.
However, it’s my experience that things can happen ‘out of the blue’, so I continue to live in hope, follow the dream, and practice my Welsh.
Bronwyn

4 Likes

Helo a bore da o Kingston, WA, USA! (Near Seattle)
I am a nurse, but trying to retire (and failing), and am finally working on some long-deferred passions. One of them is to be able to speak multiple languages. I don’t know why, but Welsh is turning into one of my favorites. (I’m also working on Spanish, Irish, and resurrecting my high school German. Oh, and a smattering of Klingon - Qapla’!) I started with Duolingo, but am trying to supplement those efforts with other lessons that are more conversation-oriented, or will at least provide a different approach. There’s not much out there for Welsh, so I’m very happy to find this group! I loved the one sentence challenge, and look forward to more. And because I learn best by teaching and helping others, this forum seems perfect! (I also participate in some computer/device help forums, and have learned a LOT from that activity! Yes. I’m a geek.)
Oh, and I also do pottery.

3 Likes

A very warm welcome to the forum, mudwoman! Sounds as though you’re going to be a great person to have around here - I’ll look forward to hearing how the course goes for you :star2::muscle:

1 Like

Lovely to see you back, Bronwyn - sorry for your troubles - I hope very much you do get the chance to visit, it would be lovely to welcome you to Wales.

Well! I made it to the end of lesson 5 and am very happy with the result. I found myself speaking in unison with Aran and my new welsh lady friend (could we have her name, please. A wee introduction at the start of the lessons would be nice.) So, where to from here, please?
One thing I must mention is the gymnastics of getting my tongue around all the rolled r’s and the ‘ll’ sound, especially in a full sentence. Honestly, my tongue felt like a roll of carpet for a while! In fact, I left a couple of days between a few lessons, not because I couldn’t learn the words, but because I couldn’t string them together without tripping over my tongue. But, as mentioned, by the end I was happily matching word for word with my tutors.
I’m really looking forward to continuing my Welsh language journey and can’t wait for the next email to arrive.
Thank you so much!

2 Likes

Mmm - a female voice on static MP3 files with me? That must be Catrin :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you. :blush:

1 Like

Prynhawn da from Australia - I am Welsh born but have lived many years now in New South Wales, Australia. I learnt the basic Welsh, - Greetings, Counting to twenty, Days of the week, months of the year & of course many songs including Mae hen Wlad fy Nahdu & the Ein Tad in school, & surprisingly I still remember a lot that I learnt then, but I would like to become fluent in siarad Cymraeg.

1 Like

Noswaith da from the United States! I’m a learner from Seattle, Washington that picked up the beautiful language that is Welsh about the beginning of this year. Started with Duolingo and have not missed a day. I love learning Welsh! It makes sense in my brain for some reason much more than learning French did when I was in school. Wanting to branch away and try different learning styles to get better at actually speaking. Reading Welsh is great but getting to comfortably speak it will be a great achievement of mine! Excited for my learning journey.

6 Likes

Helo

I have lived in Ceredigion for many years and have wanted to learn Cymraeg for many years (picking up the odd word or phrase here and there). Grandchildren going to school now has prompted me to get a grip and get on with it so I can converse with them!

Just completed Practice Session Day 4 and am loving it - what a lovely way to learn :slight_smile:

Diolch yn fawr

3 Likes

A very warm welcome, @philip-summers @diedre @yolanda - lovely to see you here, sounds as though you’re all off to a great start! :star2: :heart:

1 Like

Bore da!
I’ve just found this site/program. I’ve just begun attempting to learn Welsh. My father’s family were (all now deceased) from Ruthin, and I was finally able to visit a few years ago. Now I’m obsessed with going back as much as possible, and I’d love to speak the language. I remember my Uncles and Aunts having beautiful accents, and it’s important to me to learn to speak with the best accent I can muster. Thank you for this!–Laurie (Williams) Gilmore

2 Likes

Hibi eventually subscribed and was doing ok initially but stopped altogether as I just couldn’t keep up and during each lesson I got so behind I gave up- I’m now trying again but it’s the same thing, my head just can’t compute and every time I pause I forget what I’m supposed to be saying. I’m thinking of forgetting it altogether and cancelling my membership, any advice
Hazel

I’ll send you a private response, @hazel-6 , so this thread can be kept for people on the 1 Sentence free taster.

Diolch i ti

Bore da! I’ve been studying Welsh on the app with the little green owl for 844 days (it says here) but a friend said they were finding SSi more helpful so I thought I’d try it too.

4 Likes

Croeso @fred_sl! You should find that you can incorporate a lot of what the little green owl has taught you into the structures you learn with us and really expand your Welsh!

1 Like

Hi, I’ve been learning Welsh on Duolingo for a couple of months and found this forum when I was Googling how to use wyt t’in and dych chi’n. I chose Welsh because I like Welsh folk music and would like to be able to understand the words and sing along properly, and because I’m very likely to visit Wales and it would be good to be able to speak a little Welsh. Duolingo is good and I stick with it but it doesn’t explain the grammar and the words it teaches you can be a little random. I hope I’ll make better progress with you guys and I’m looking forward to learning lots.

3 Likes