Course 1Lesson 7 & 8 query

Hi. I have just started lesson 8 and wondered if any one can help me understand how Dw i wedi (I have) is also Dw i wedi blino (I am tired) . Why isn’t it dwi’ n blino ?
Also on lesson 7. Did I miss Fydd Isle…? And. Bydd / Na fydd in the actual lesson. Or was it listed in the course guide but not covered in the lesson
Thank you for your help

Easy: blino is a verb meaning to tire. So wedi blino is after tiring, thus tired.

2 Likes

Helo Wendi,

If you are doing the Southern course, that’s an error in the Lesson 7 course guide. “Bydd/Na fydd” are introduced in Lesson 14, and “Fydd isie” in Lesson 16.

Following on from what Louis said about blino being a verb meaning “to tire” - I am in the US, and “I am after tiring” isn’t an expression I would ever hear or use here. I think of “Dw i wedi blino” as “I have tired”. Just a different way of saying the same thing :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I should have pointed out to @Wendi that

is not

• Welsh does that type of construct quite different from English :smile: (although it is not uncommon in Irish English, I’m told)

Louis, Anna. Brilliant and Thank you. For some reason it just didn’t gel with me ., but I get it now, so I can happily log it in my brain and move on.
All the best

3 Likes

However that’s how is presented by @Iestyn in the southern course … If I can remember correctly, he says something like "We say “I have tired” in Welsh… "

Well, I didn’t even think about why is that so, it’s fact for me and it helps not to be confused too much, preventing me to get into the things too orderly and tidy so I can (finally) eliminate my “perfectionist me”.

Hi just completed southern lesson 8 course 1 again. I do like to repeat lessons a few times to try and get things straight in my mind before I move on. Lestyn introduces Dw I wedi blino. As ‘I am tired’ and goes on with ‘you are tired’ and ‘are you tired’etc. which is why I was somewhat confused, as he already taught us ‘Dw I wedi’ was ‘I have’, etc . Normally He introduces a new word up front as ’ to…’ But went straight into ’ I am tired’ and it did confuse me. I have to admit that I like things orderly when I’m learning something. When you have learnt it then you can ‘smudge’ it a bit.

1 Like

But you do need to remember that, in English, “have” has many many different uses. This one - “wedi” is closely related to “after” so when you use it in the construction “Dw i wedi gwneud” (for example) it means something like the English usage of "I have done (something)’.
It could be “Dw i wedi mynd” (I have gone) or “Dw i wedi bwyta” (I have eaten) or a lot of other things. It is one simple way to talk about something you did previously.

But it is NEVER the kind of “I have” for something like “I have a car” or “I have three books”. Totally different construction there!

2 Likes

I went through some lessons but now all of a sudden I ca’t that part either.

Hi @Wendi.

People have answered most of your original post (OP), so I’ll not repeat what they have said!

In the OP, you also ask “why not dwi’n blino”. “Blino” is to tire, so “Dwi’n blino” is “I’m tiring” rather than “I’m tired”. There’s a few “I ams” in English that become “I have” in Welsh, like “I’m bored” (dwi wedi diflasu / danto) etc. The same applies, in that “dwi’n diflasu” would mean “I am becoming bored” (Though not “I am boring” - the pattern in English has broken down a bit here!).

I think the summary of this post would be that the English pattern and Welsh patterns in this case don;t map on each other. In this case, in fact, the English pattern is not consistent even in itself, which akes it even more difficult to work out the Welsh in terms of the Englsih. In that case, it is probably best to accept that “it is what it is” and move on.

4 Likes

Out of interest how is blinedig used? I can say mae’r cu wedi blino (the dog is tired) but how about mae cu yn flinedig (it is a tired dog)? Is this correct?

2 Likes

You’d be understood perfectly, but it’s not something you’d hear very often :sunny:

Diolch am dy ateb! I just came in from a walk so mae fy nghu wedi blino. But sometimes he’s really tired achos mae hi’n heulog outside so would he be “wedi blino’n iawn” instead?

Blino’n lân - very tired
Blino’n racs - very very tired

2 Likes

I love this one. I can be so very well said - sharp …

Diolch yn fawr.

(Sorry for being late)

Thank you all for your help. It’s funny learning a new language… It makes you analyse everything you don’t even think about your own language.
Would you mind helping me out on this one?
In lessons 9 & 10 course 1, Does the old cat sleep well?
Yw hen gath – cysgu undda?
What is the --?
I can’t make out what it is in this question and similar questions in these 2 lessons, no matter how may times I repeat it. Thank you

What you are hearing is “yn”…

Yw’r hen gath yn cysgu yn dda?

This little linking word is always there in the present tense forms we are learning - it connects the subject with the verb that follows it. It’s easy to forget about it in the sentences with the pronouns, because it’s contracted. “Mae fe’n” is really “Mae fe yn”. It’s there (not contracted) in the negative, “Dyw e ddim yn”.

It took me a while to remember to put it in the cath/ci sentences! It helps me to think of the “yn” as something that goes with (or is “attached” to) the verb that follows it, instead of with the subject. If that last statement just confused you, forget about it…it may be something that only makes sense to me :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ve wondered this, too. Is it more of a descriptor, as in the phrase “a sleepy little town” might be used to paint the image of a quiet and quaint place?

1 Like

Thank you for your answer AnnaC. I will go and see if I can now make sense of it
Wendi

1 Like