Context and new learner

Well i don’t know what you’re currently seeing exactly before subscribing - however, sure you will see the other challenges and the written vocabulary lists and examples from those challenges.

1 Like

ah thnk you. I think I understand now. So it’s not lists of specific vocabulary, like say vocabulary for food, shopping, going out or whatever alongside the challenges, it’s the vocab that goes along with the challenges. Goodness me it’s getting a bit difficult to understand here. I don’t really feel comfortable with this because I do need to be able to find out if I can use certain nouns with the patterns, I would assume they change according to whatever place they come in a sentence, plural whatever. Anyway, never mind. Thanks for your answer.

It’s not hard to understand. It’s what makes it so interesting. Anyway if I can slot some vocab into sentences using the patterns provided and still be understood, it’s all good.

1 Like

No it isn’t that kind of vocabulary list.

If you want to count, learn parts of the body, rooms of the house and so on - that’s the stuff Duolingo does really well.

SSIW gives you the blocks of the language and gets you repeating and messing about with using those blocks in different ways. That’s the stuff things like Duolingo don’t do very well.

Yes Joe. I agree with you. And that’s why I’ve started doing this course, for precisely that reason. OK, fair enough. Looks like I need to do two different courses together. Thanks

Yep, you just have to find what works for you.

I preferred to see everything laid out and explained, so formal classes were good for me, then I filled in gaps learning vocab with Duolingo. Now I need to do more work on practicing getting the patterns nailed down.

I know other people who have had a lot of success mainly using SSIW and no formal classes at all.

The main thing is to not give up!

2 Likes

That’s correct, it’s the vocabulary of the challenges (that are for the most part quite commonly used words) plus a few extras (you can check @tatjana’s post above for more details).

However what I found out is that the structure of Welsh is really easy, compared to other European language I learnt or at least have an idea of.
So once you’re familiar with the structures in SSiW challenges it’s usually very easy just to swap words taken from lists of vocabulary of any category you may be interested in and that you can easily find elsewhere (for example, I started with food, watching Beca/Becws TV show clips on YouTube, or like @joe-6 with Duolingo etc.)

There are some useful vocab units as part of the old course - not sure what kind of subscriber you have to be to access these though.

1 Like

Previously it was that you had at least to be a subsciber to all Welsh materials (Welsh course) in order to access all 3 Courses and the extra material + then on all 3 Levels but since the things have changed in September (or so) last year I’m not sure what subscription one should have to get access to these.

Yup, there are 10 extra vocab lessons in Course 1 and 10 extra vocab Lessons in Course 2 while Course 3 has no extra Vocab lessons. Worth going though if you have the access to this material. Lesson 6 bonus should be accessible to all those who use Level 1/Course 1 for learning nowdays too.

@aran, @Deborah-SSi, @Iestyn eto … ???

2 Likes

There is lots of free stuff on YouTube too. Mostly good but a few not good at all. Good luck

1 Like

If you have a Standard subscription - £10 per month - you get access to all that material :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you’re on any kind of a payment plan, you’ve got access to everything… otherwise, you can just see Level 1, but that’s about to change - we see so many more people succeeding with the structured courses, or with any kind of subscription, that the completely open/free stuff is going to be cut down to the first 5 lessons (with a scholarship application option for people who genuinely can’t afford to go past that)… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello Helwn,

I am also a qualified language teacher and currently teach Academic English to international students in a UK university. My experience of the course is very different and I love building the sentences as I drive to work. Don’t let prior learning get in your way! an exploration of Welsh grammar and linguistics is a wonderful extra dimension for you to explore as well!

5 Likes