Conjugating prepositions

Hello, it has only just dawned on me (I am revising the end of the Mynediad 1 to be ready for starting Mynediad 2) that some prepositions conjugate…is that even possible, or am I imagining it? I’m thinking of “ar” like “Mae annwyd arna i”.
Do ALL prepositions conjugate, or just some special ones? And if they all do, have I been missing this for a whole year???
Diolch!

1 Like

Lots of common ones conjugate, including all the set that cause soft mutation (am, ar, at, dan, dros, drwy, gan, heb, hyd, i, o, wrth), which is a reasonable way to remember them.

“Rhwng” doesn’t cause mutation but does conjugate. “Yn” causes nasal mutation and does conjugate. Everything else, I think, doesn’t do either.

Conjugation (as in verbs) in Indo-European languages seems to go back ultimately to an earlier stage where verbs didn’t have endings, and you just stuck a personal pronoun onto the root - the verb “to be” starting off as something like “is me, is thee, is he” (Hittite esmi, essi, eszi). It kind of makes sense that preposition + pronoun combinations should fuse together in the same way that verbs did (to me, to thee, to him - or “to me, to you” for fans of the Chuckle Brothers), but in European languages it’s pretty much just the Celtic ones that actually do that.

3 Likes

I think I might just have to get my coat (whose coat is that jacket?) and go home.

2 Likes

Hi,
I think you’re amazing to have figured that out by yourself. What a big learning step you have taken on your way to speaking Welsh.

3 Likes

@lucy-devine

I’m 100% with @amanda-8 on that - figuring something out for yourself is so much better than being told - and you can use the same skill on the next thing and the thing after that etc…you’ve gone self sufficient.

Congratulations! :tada:

Rich :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I am so sorry I didn’t see your nice comment until now - diolch!!!

1 Like

Thank you - that is so kind - and I am sorry that I’ve only just seen this (sometimes I struggle a bit with the Forum, which makes me sound like my mum, I know…)

1 Like